Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Does anyone else feel like they are sometimes melodramatic?

4 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Kittycat1234,

For myself, I wouldn't say that I feel melodramatic, but I do have a hard time talking about my depression with people for a few reasons:

1. I feel like they won't get it, because "everyone has struggles so why is it a big deal?" I grew up in a family whose motto was definitely "suck it up and move on".
  2. Sometimes I feel like my life is like a country song... my dog ran away, my truck broke down (hopefully you get that reference)... and I get tired of hearing myself being sad.
  3. I put a lot of pressure on myself to be resilient. Mostly because people keep telling me how resilient I am! So I feel like I don't get much space to be sad or anxious about anything because everyone seems to think I have it all together (and I'm worried that one day they'll figure out that's all a big lie).

At the other end of the spectrum, I sometimes overshare and end up embarrassed that I've told people so much!

It's difficult to find a balance.

4 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Yes, i can relate... Not necessarily when talking about depression but about anything else important to me. I figured this is related to a core belief in me, i.e. ‚that I don’t deserve to have the same rights as others, when they talk about issues‘

which is a really mean lye...

Not sure if this helps..

4 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Sometimes when I talk to people I try to explain how I am feeling then I stop myself because I feel like I don't really know what I am talking about. I have a few people that support me but I never want to talk about my depression because I don't really know how to express myself and I think maybe they will think I am just being melodramatic or lying. I hope this is making sense. It is just really hard for me to make sense of my feelings and then when I really think about it I think maybe I am making too big of a deal about something and I should just keep it to myself. This makes me want to isolate even more. Does anyone else feel this way sometimes?

Reading this thread: