Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Advice on family issues

13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey! I'm 22 years old as well and I live with my parents. Fortunately, neither of them having any very serious help problems. My dad has a mild depression but is able to really manage it well. Sometimes, I feel like like I'm a little stuck or a bit of a failure cause I'm still living with my parents, but I know it is the best place for me to be right now. Plus, I'm not working right now so I don't have the means to support myself. My advice to you, is to just try and establish what is the best possible living situation for you at this time. It sounds like living with your brother has been stressful, but you also face difficult challenges at home. Also, it sounds like you and your mother have a very good, supportive relationship. You just need to do what is right for you!
13 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lankey Pete,

Welcome to the group.  It sounds like you are already leaning towards one desicion.  What do you want?  How will moving benefit you or hold you back? How will staying benefit you or hold you back?

Consider your options and decide what you feel is right.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi this is my first post here and im just seeking some advice on my current situation ,please read and give your advice as it would be much appreciated.
i will give a brief description of the problems and hopefully come to a conclusion by typing it all out.

im 22 years of age, and have been diagnosed with dysthimia ,living with one of two older brother and i am trying to decide weather or not to move back in with my parents and the other older brother.

here are the options quickly summarized so they can be compared.

-move in with mother,father and brother ,mother has major depression but is the only family member who is sympathetic of my situation, the oldest brother who lives there is very verbally abusive towards my mother and we find support in each other dealing with him, we are currently trying to remove him from the lease so we can bassically kick him out.

-i live with the middle brother who earns substancialy more money then me but when its time to cough up for bills i have to nag him for about for days before i get any thing, and last time the issue of money came up he flew into a rage and smashed the front window of the house we rent, he is also incredibly lazy when it comes to pretty much anything (including fixing the window he smashed which i will have to fix and pay for most likly and wait a week till he pays me back) honestly im suprised he can wipe his own ass.

the reasons for moving are to try and get my life back on track i had an episode late last year and quit a good job of 2.5 yrs and have since been working odd jobs to pay the rent ,i just feel overwhelmed and moving back with my parents comes with its own set of challenges but i will be able to focus more on getting my life back,or at least thats how i feel.

the idea has been raised with the lazy brother but its like talking to a brick wall and he will never actually look for alternative housing unless i do it all for him so im thinking if i decide to leave ill just tell him im packing my stuff and give him a date as it seems its the only way he will understand im serious.

Thanks for reading if u did i feel my head is clearer now :)

Reading this thread: