Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Today vacuumed

15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I almost called in sick.  I do have a sore throat but not bad enough to not go to work.  I went to sleep and slept most of the weekend.  It seems getting that emotional just drains me for days.  I should have took an anti anxiety pill (on Friday) (klonopin) but I hate to take those.  However, I wouldn't have had as unproductive weekend.  I did get to babysit and that was awesome.  though I took a nap to prepare for my two hours that she was awake.  Work was okay today.  It wasn't so hectic and we are bracing for uncharacteristic ice storm here.  I remember living up North.  It wasn't like this at all.  Today there isn't a loaf of bread to be found in either of the three stores in town (lol).  It's supposed to be in the 40's on Thursday, but everyone panics.  It is quite amusing.  I bought bread today too.  lol

Anyway, I'm calmer and not as worked up and made myself go to work today (pats self on back) and I left when I was supposed to (pats self on back again).  I just hate when I let myself get so upset and stressed out.  Sometimes the stress is there, sometimes I think I created it.  Friday it was there!

LOL, I am fine thanks!  

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

I think it is great that you recognized what was going on before it escalated too badly. Way to go!

And how are you today?
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
goofy,

It sounds like you really handled this situation assertively and effectively. You were also able to recognize the situation before you got dragged into it. Sometimes this can be incredibly difficult but you seemed to handle it with ease. It is also good to hear that you have made plans not to work that shift anymore.

Members, here are the 3 main ways that people successfully handle problems:
AVOID, ALTER or ACCEPT,

AVOID  what you cannot handle
ALTER  Make a new response to the situation.
ACCEPT If the situation can't be changed in any way, find a way to be more accepting of it.

Even if you try it and it fails you will make progress toward handling it. 

Life is a lot of trial and error, isn't it?

Sarah, Health Educator

I should leave despite what needed to be done like I am supposed to do per doctor.  I work my 4 hours and go home.  I read in the Mod's corner about pleasurable activities vs. accomplished activities making a person feel good.  I usually feel good when I've accomplished something and tend to frame things in my mind that way.  I did a good job babysitting.  I spent quality time with my granddaughter/son/grandmother.  I accomplished activities with my grandmother and spent time with her as well.  I don't usually "look at it" like I enjoyed it.  Obviously, I do enjoy those activities.  I usually enjoy work because I am helping people. 

With the supervisor (who isn't my supervisor we are equals).  I should have just walked away.  I did my part with the situation, we come to a common solution and I shouldn't have allowed myself to be dragged into the situation with her and her employees.  I was at the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't make an exit before I did (I was also at the end of my rope in terms of stress and let my mouth go).  When I recognized I should have walked away, I went to my supervisor (also hers) clarified my responsibilities in the situation and left (this was a good thing, I didn't have to "worry" about it all weekend).  I think I did okay except for letting myself get dragged into the situation for only a couple of minutes actually.  I recognized before it escalated too far. 

Now, I've slept my three hours and feel better, but am looking forward to bedtime.  And know tomorrow will be a better day.  I also have made plans to make sure that I don't work 8-12 anymore but the 2-6 until the doctor indicates otherwise.

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Goofy,

Wow it does sound like a rough day. And that lady sounds like a real bother. I am sorry to hear you were too tired to do your activities. But I agree with Sarah, try to do something for you! Be kind to yourself. Hugs to you!
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
goofy,

Wow, it does sound like you had a rough day.

Although you are unable to change what has happened to day, you can begin to think about what can be done differently in future situations. Is there anything you would do differently?

You also mentioned that you had fun activities planned for the night. Are you able to still continue with these activities? If not, perhaps try doing something for yourself. Do you have anything in mind?

Enjoy your weekend goofy! You deserve it!

Sarah, Health Educator
hmmm, I won't get into all the details but today is one of the worst days that I've had in a long time.  I needed to work 8-12 today (I'm on part time normally 2-6 p.m. doctor's orders) to meet with my brother.  I had to drive 100 miles (not my job), instead of doing what i needed to do with a local agency.  Went to the local agency (at 11:30 when I returned) and they said I could wait an hour or come back in 30 minutes because everyone had gone to lunch (I know it doesn't make sense, that is what they said).  so I left and waited the hour and went back.  I waited an additional 30 minutes and got back at 2:15 ready to go.  I got hit with 12 people's problems (exageration by 4) and ended up not getting to leave until 3:15.

The main problem I had occurred at 3.  when the supervisor (that I've had so much trouble with) got ugly with me again.  I told her she needed to ask her boss if he wanted me to do to xyz or her employees to do it.  I had already agreed to one solution between the three of us (her, boss, and myself) and she was trying to lay more in my lap without him present.  Her boss and my boss are the same person.  Anyway, I took it to him.  Told him what a smart a** thing I said and as usual, told him, I didn't care which way I did it (and I don't - one is no harder than the other), I just need to know what way to do it".  I also explained part of the problem was just a failure to communicate.  By the time I left, I headed for bed - literally and slept three hours, though I had plans 30 minutes earlier of activities to do (exciting ones well, at least fun things to do)! 

I'm just airing it out!  Thanks for listening.  I won't work 8-12 again until the doc says different! (learned something today).

Reading this thread: