Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Re-assessing Goals

11 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great discussion! I can understand what both of you are saying.

To add my thoughts...

When it comes to your personal life and health, SMART goals are there to serve you. That's why I often change the R from Realistic to Resonant (Its a life coach thing :)). Resonant because if you are not excited about the goal then it's not SMART. So instead of making a goal that you have to learn a song by this date maybe make a goal to play the guitar outside in the sun twice a week for three weeks. Then if you reach the goal celebrate in some way that has meaning to you. If you don't reach the goal that is ok too. You will just have to tweak it for next time or try again. Again, these goals are there to serve you. If they don't motivate you then there is no point in setting them. You can reassess and change your goals as much as you like to suit your needs. Your the boss when it comes to your goals.

Also, I want to add that I hate the negative connotation of the word fail. Argh just saying the word out loud makes me uncomfortable. But the truth is there is nothing wrong with failing. It means you are trying something new, it means you are challenging yourself and you are learning and growing. So before you start on any goals you may want to reassess what "failure" means to you so that it motivates you and not paralyses you.

What do you think?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I see your point Pete... on the other hand... for me, the SMART model has been really helpful.  I need structure and specific steps for setting goals because setting goals for myself baffles me. As I've mentioned ad infinitum... I operate in a reactive mode... attuned to others' needs, wants, goals.  I've never been proactive.  I have no practice setting goals for myself as other peoples' needs inevitably interrupt what ever plans or desires I may have.

I guess I look at the SMART model as a sort of road map or maybe a recipe for successfully setting goals.  I like having a map with me when I travel, but I also really like taking side trips of my own design.  As for following recipes... I use the structure for inspiration and as a starting point and then make adjustments as I go. 

I'm not explaining this very well.  I get what you are saying about how it can be counter-productive to set specific goals (with the possibility of failure)... but I'm pretty excited to finally be learning how to set some goals for myself... even if I fail to meet them... just knowing how is an amazing new skill.
11 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, Matt. Interesting. May I express a slightly divergent view?

My issue is that in my working life I'm hemmed in by, and knocked over the head with, so-called SMART targets. Everything we do has to be forced into this framework, whether or not it is appropriate, and it leads to the mindset that if an activity or task is not explicitly measurable, then it is not valuable. It's not a mode of thinking I wish to bring into my personal life, as if every aspiration can be pigeonholed into the structure of a business operation.

Define goals too much, and you make it much easier to feel you've failed. My hobby and main form of relaxation/de-stressing is guitar playing, and I'm in a constant and pleasurable process of learning. If I SMART-ise that, say I set myself the goal of learning a certain passage or song in a week, and then I don't manage that, then there is a feeling of failure, non-achievement and the real danger, what with me being depressive, somewhat impulsive and emotional, of putting down the instrument for good or for a long period of thime. This has happened before.

"I can't do that, I'll never do that. I'm no good. Anyone else could do this, but not me. Oh no. because I'm Pete and I'm defective...."

Maybe this is a trivial illustration of what I'm saying, but I'd counsel caution when considering systematising one's goals and aspirations. Especially for us depressed-type of folks, it can backfire. It can have the opposite effect to motivation.
11 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

As we are now into Autumn, it is a good time to reassess your goals. Having goals is an important step of personal development.
Setting and assessing your goals regularly helps to keep you motivated and driven to succeed.
By setting goals you know where to focus your efforts.

Remember the SMART principle when setting your goals.
That is, make sure your goals are:
Specific - have a clear and concise goal in mind, not a general one.
Measurable- you should be able to track progress/changes and answer how many?, how much?
Attainable - your goal should be achievable, make sure not to extreme nor to easy to achieve.
Relevant -realistic, is this goal purposeful?
Timely- make sure you plan how long you will take or intend to achieve your goal by

You can set goals in many different aspects of your life (e.g., education, family, physical activity, career, attitude, pleasure, financial)

So go ahead and reassess your goals or set some new ones. It is a motivating tool

Be well

Reading this thread: