Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Making excuses

15 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thats a great idea wildcat! And so true. 

Ashley, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
oh then there is the oh but it is a holiday ...
I will eat all the nasty sugars and caffines and then... wonder why I am miserable for a week!
more excuses...

When i COULD  have replaced it all with some really nice and pretty things that are good for me!
The local fruit importer does these pretty fruit dishes and fruit on a stick that are a wonderful replacement to all that chocolate and candy, we add a little melted chocolate as a desert...
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I do the "but" thing. I am really trying to get over that. I try to just argue with myself. Like I would do the laundry BUT I am too tired. Then I tell myself. Well, having the clothes clean will make me feel better. Also, I can do in little steps and rest in between so it won't be so bad...

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't... Still a work in progress I guess.
15 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No, Buts (just the behind).  Actually, it is never a but, it is rather I don't want to, I don't want to go for a jog/walk or anything else, it will not make me feel better, happy, cold or otherwise, it will make me sweat, angry and not a very nice person to be around.  It is not productive, it does not produce any tangible results for me or anyone else therefore it is completely useless.  I have tried and will not try something I don't like more than a couple of times because if I don't like it, it isn't doing me any good.

But, thanks for the sugggestion.
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi .
my excuses usually start * I am comfortable now * so I'll start Tomorrow...
I make those promises that are never kept!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Do you consistently make excuses to get out of activities? Do you thing of doing something productive and then give yourself excuses in the form of but?  For example; I’d like to go for a jog today, BUT…

I’m too tired,

I’m too lazy,

It’s to cold/hot outside,

I ate too much today….

All of your ‘buts’ may re
present the greatest obstacle to effective mood boosts. Fight these ‘but’ statements with something more positive. “I’d like to go for a run, but I’m too tired. BUT, if I went for a run, it would wake me up and I would feel better.”  

Members, do you find yourself doing this? Have you discovered any effective ways of to rebuttal your buts?
Faryal - Health Educator

Reading this thread: