Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Rebuilding Your Self-Esteem

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with Pete.  I don't know how to really build on something I don't have an idea about.  I watch other people and wonder how they can do or act a certain way around others. I am too self-conscious and talk myself out of "being noticed" for fear of making a huge blunder and be thought of as stupid.

I know it's fear of failure, fear of rejection, etc that holds me back, but I can't really seem to overcome it.  I try faking it and on the outside it looks like I'm doing ok, but buried deep inside me is the train wreck that I am.
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, boy, self-esteem! There's a serious mountain to climb. I don't think I need to rebuild my self-esteem, because I can't remember ever having had any to start with. Your ideas look good, but this is a biggie
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Has an illness, addiction or other left your self-esteem in the gutter? In the weeks to come, we will be exploring various strategies to help rebuild your self-esteem:

• Practice giving respect to those who deserve it because you’ll get it back. Respect for others & self-respect are closely tied together.
• Change you reaction when your self-esteem is tested. (Ex: Co-worker talking behind your back.) Letting it affect you in a negative way is a choice. If you feel you must do something about it, confront the co-worker in a calm, assertive & professional manner.
• Don’t let material possessions, bank accounts, jobs or other define you & your worth.
• Pick up a hobby or an area you are “weak” in and learn about it. Sign up for a class, go back to school, take a night course or other and become competent. A great confidence booster. Ex: Two left feet? Take a dance class!
Please add your thoughts on rebuilding your self-esteem! More tips to come next week!

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: