Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

The Stress Response and Role Transition

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Goofy,

I am sorry to hear you have to deal with all that. I wish I had good advice for you but all I can do is repeat the nurse idea. I do want to let you know you are in my thoughts. Hang in there!
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

Sorry to hear that you are overwhelmed with your responsiblities.  It must be tough caring for your ailing father under these circumstances.  Rose306 mentioned a good idea to have a nurse or a relief worker assist with your father's care.  Perhaps you can contact your local community access centre or his physician for a referral.  Members, have you come across a similar role transition?  Have any suggestions for Goofy?

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi goofy, your resentment is 100% understandable. why are you his caretaker? no hospice or nurse to come to his home? i don't think you are obligated, i really don't. he's an adult, he made his choices, why are you living with them? not fair!!! as far as your brother goes, a good swift kick is in order, preferably wearing your bulkiest boots!! the only people you are obligated to care for is you, your son, his wife, your grandchild. you're so smart and so good, you don't need this crap dumped in your lap. shame on your dad and your brother. my 2 cents, you know i have a big mouth.  
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This topic is so applicable to my current situation, instead of just reading and learning, I feel compelled to post an issue at hand.  I have read through the Role transition module although it was skipping ahead.  In the recent (2 months) past, my father has become sick (in addition to his alcoholism and as a direct result).  After my mother died, I had a role transition with him and handled that one so-so.  After having read this module and what you wrote I can understand why that one was a bit easier even though I was coping with the death of my mother simultaneously.
My father's liver is failing (not sure where yet, awaiting news from the doctor).  He is jaundiced, disoriented, confused, forgetful, not taking care of himself, has swelling literally from toe to his throat, is not eating, had difficulty breathing......and is drinking, but fewer beers he tells me (I know because there is no room for it due to fluid retention).  I am having difficulty transition to the role of caretaker to him, when I can barely take care of myself (in fact, do not take care of myself). I also have a multitude of emotions regarding his drinking over my life time, his increased drinking since mom passed,  his dependency on me, his addictive behaviors, his denial and the denial that my brother has towards the whole **** thing (reality).  I think one of these emotions is resentment.  lol, that was hard to recognize.  I thought I had accepted that I was powerless of his addiction but now the power of his addiction is, is, is _____ I don't know! 

I can't write anymore.  

15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi sylvie,

I know that month-end is stress periods and I know not to see certain people on my work place, I ask the boss what to do with a problem.

I know Christmas is coming up and will try to get the shopping done with before the 10th of december or go funny.  THe holidays remind me of all those arguements and conflicts so I try to plan NOTHING. 

I know that my daughter is most difficult at the start of a cold !!! (I was called into the director's office today! TIAMAT nearly killed the authority an educator).  And I try to shuffle her off on my husband at that critical moment or find quite time for us!
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
poorly............ doesn't anticipating situations just add to the anxiety? and therefore, avoidance? how would you actually plan for it? other than leveling with people or sticking to your guns? i don't understand
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Depression is associated with a number of specific problems with the balance of a number of specific neurotransmitters as well as physical, behavioral and psychological symptoms. It makes sense that the chemistry of the brain is changed in depression. We now know that the body and the brain are tied together. How we feel, think and behave are all related to changes in chemicals in the brain.

Perhaps more importantly, it seems that experiencing depression actually changes how the brain responds to stress. It seems that once a person has had one episode of depression, their brain shows an exaggerated stress response to relatively minor stressors. In other words, while the initial episode of depression may be triggered by a major negative life event, later episodes of depression may be triggered by a minor negative life event. Perhaps this is why depression can often become a chronic problem.

Role transitions (major changes in your life) often trigger later episodes of depression. All of our lives involve stress and transitions that present us with both challenges and opportunities. One of the best ways to combat future episodes of depression is to anticipate situations in which you are likely to become depressed in the future (transitions) and do some planning for how you are going to cope. 
How do you deal with change?

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: