Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Activities That Can Give You a Sense of Accomplishment

15 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Accomplishment...mmm, I feel really good when I finish a project. I have a list of things that I need to finish (sewing my curtains, gardening) and try and work on them often. Each time I cross one off, I feel proud of myself. I also like being given challenges at work because I feel a sense of accomplishment when I complete them successfully. I also go out of my way to be friendly to everyone I meet and now and then I have someone say to me 'you made my day'.

I agree with Goofy- feeling you made a difference in someone else's life (even though yours is kind of hectic), no matter how small (even if it was just a smile) is the greatest accomplishment.

Goofy, I think to sacrifice yourself for the good of others is an admirable thing. As long as you remember to take care of yourself first (which helps you take care of other better), it is a great was to find fulfillment.
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Most of the time I feel a sense of accomplishment by helping someone.  I do feel accomplishment when I keep my house clean and/or clean it.....but it isn't the same.  I've less motivation to do the latter.  Doing some of the other things give me a sense of accomplishment or fun....but it just isn't the same.  The only thing that "floats my boat" is helping others, actually most of the time, at the expense of sacraficing self.  I don't think this is healthy, is it?
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Activities That Can Give You a Sense of Accomplishment
Some people make a distinction between activities that bring pleasure and activities that give a sense of accomplishment. Some activities are performed for pure pleasure such as going to a movie, taking a bubble bath, wiggling toes in the sand or basking in the sun. Other activities aren’t so pleasant to do but when you finish them you feel good because you get a sense of accomplishment or control over a situation.

For example, cleaning the kitchen floor or tidying up a closet may not be exactly “fun,” but you can feel “good” or “better” after having done a small job because you can feel like you have accomplished something.

Over the next several weeks we are going to ask you to do some experimenting by doing things that may provide a sense of pleasure or accomplishment. Again, all we ask is that you try it and see what happens.

If you’re having some trouble coming up with some activities that will give you a sense of accomplishment, here’s a list that will get you started:

Donating to a good cause

Passing a test
Planning a trip or vacation
Making a piece of Art
Redecorating
Rearranging furniture
Learning something new
Learning how to fix something
Doing the dishes
Writing something well
Saying something well
Making other people happy