Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Postpartum depression

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Even with two c-sections; I did the extreme breast-feeding thing so I think I avoided the worst of PPD. Also, in Quebec we have generous maternity leaves so I was well rested and taken care of.
My first was a boy a big, healthy, loved and adored boy... so all I had was two days of being afraid of being alone at home ... 

Cocotte's pregnancy and birth was miserable.  She had intolerances and allergies (the gastro-enterologue) nearly took away my coffee! She was Tiny (less that 1% growth curve and jaundiced) and even refused to feed!  Good thing I was a solid nourri-source marraine or those nurses would have bullied me into a bunch of bottles and junk!   Oh that special powder (not the nutramigene the next hypoallergenic stuff) stinks to high-heaven! 
15 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think I did suffer some pp depression after my kids but this pregnancy is much worse. I think my hormones combined with circumstances has lead to more depressed episodes than perhaps I would have had not being pregnant and the same circumstances or not having the circumstances I have and just being pregnant.

Interesting about the boy link...I am pretty sure I am carrying a boy.

As far as handling the pp after my kids....breastfeeding, exercise, friends, good nutrition, rest, lowering expectations of what I could get done in the day with a new baby, accepting help from friends and family (food was the most important).
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Postpartum depression is an illness associated with pregnancy and childbirth. It is thought to be primarily caused by changed in hormones and hereditary disposition. In a recent study, it has also been linked to giving birth to boys & first time moms.

Although some degree of “baby blues” is to be expected, postpartum can be distinguished by the thoughts & beliefs the mother holds of her ability to parent her children.

Did any members here experience postpartum depression? How did you deal with it?

Faryal - Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: