Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Managing Anxiety and Worry

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Josie,

Thank you for your reply. I need to be careful to not label me as having some mental health problems when they do not exist.

For example, last year I thought that I was with a bipolar disorder. I read a lot about this disorder and did some self tests on the Internet. Everything appointed I was in fact experiencing the symptoms of bipolarity. I even consulted a pdoc who confirmed that I was with this disorder (I think I was not partial with the facts I present him because of all I have read and the self tests). I ended been medicated for 5 months with a mood stabilize and an anti-psychotic.

As I wasn't getting better I questioned why the treatment wasn't been effective and whether I was with a bipolar disorder or not. Then I visited a new pdoc to ask for a second opinion (about 3 months ago), and this time I didn't want to influence him with the wrong facts. I only answered the questions I was asked. This new doctor said that I was with depression since I had had a nervous breakdown and I hadn't recovered properly. What I needed was an anti-depressive to lift me up instead of the sedative effects of the bipolar medication. Right now I am still fine tunning the right meds/dosages but I already noticed a big improvement. Where I noticed significant improvements was in not being so worried about my work (before that, just the thought of going to work was a terrifying experience and I all I wanted was to put a sick leave) and I have more motivation to due things.

All this to say that I need to be very careful before putting on me any anxiety disorder label. Normally I tend to worry when I have some problem (and get some ruminative thoughts also) but I have been noticing that this worry is lifting as the depression is getting better. I also have noticed that I have more obsessive thoughts (as well as irritability) when I am more tired and the problems with my sleep could have their contribution to this.
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eleven,

Good for you for moving through the sessions and gaining knowledge! This gets you one step further in your progression.  For panic and anxiety there is lots more knowledge to be had!

Go to our sister site PanicCenter.net and you will be amazed at all the assistance available to you.  Once again it is free and has many excellent components to help you progress.  Our exposure therapy section has been a success with many members.

There is a support group like this one and many members who also deal with GAD, Panic and OCD.  Take a look and be informed.

Thanks for sharing!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

Last week I read the sessions managing anxiety and worry. It seems many people who are depressed also experience anxiety and I am no exception. My therapist said that most of my problems are due to anxiety and when I read those sessions I understand why. The good thing is that the thought records have been useful for both depression and anxiety.

There are several types of anxiety disorders. For example I had experienced general anxiety disorder, panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder:
  • General anxiety disorder: The common symptom of this disorder is being worried all the time. That's one thing that I have been doing for the last months (and since I came back to my work after 1 year absent due to a nervous breakdown) but now I am much better because I only worry from time to time. Here the thought records have been of many help.
  • Panic disorder: For more than a year that I do not have a panic attack, so I could say that for now this disorder is controlled.
  • Obsessive compulsive disorder: That's one thing that I need to work on since I have some behaviors who are obsessive but I didn't pay attention to them. Now I want to help myself to get rid of these behaviors so I can have healthier behaviors. I know this wouldn't be easy and I have a lot of work to do.

Reading this thread: