Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,486 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd

Session 9

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashely, I took a copy of the exercise to the therapist.  Then I printed out our posts re the topic.  He agrees with you.  I do need to take a closer look at these things.  I know respect was taught to me as a child.  I know that it is not something you can make someone do, but everyone can treat someone with respect.  I know it is a core value.  I think I can take some of the other things there as well, then it won't seem so superficial. 
Maybe part of the issue is also fear.  lol, the other sessions haven't stressed the importance of completing an activity as strong as this session has.  I want to make sure I have all the information I need to move forward.
I also am anxious to finish this session as I feel the need to go back and start at Session 1 again, going through some other things that I've realized through other sessions, feedback in the posts, and life in general.  
However, I will take a bit more time but quite overanalyzing as well.  If I haven't done it good enough for the next phase of Session 9, I dont' think the Session police will come and get me, will they?   lol
Anyway,  I'm gonna keep trucking....chug, chug, chug, chug....
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy,

If you feel you put all you can into those questions then you did do it right.  You may want to talk these questions to a therapist to walk through them if you still feel unsure.  

But what makes you say it seems superficial?  Can you go deeper?  Not to the answers you think you should say but what you believe deep down.  To go deeper sometimes it is helpful to examine why exactly you feel that way.  Break down each thing you say.  For example respect jumps out to me as a strong value for you.  What do you value about respect?  Why is respect important to you?  How are you honouring this value in your life?  What would/does it mean to feel respected? 

Try going a little deeper with all of those questions and see if it helps. 

Ashley, Health Educator
Well, I put the questions at the bottom of this post; though I know they may be cut off when posting, I couldn't remember all of them and needed a reference.
The first section: I'd like to be my old self.  I can be very descriptive of who I was....drvien, goal-oriented, a good mother, family member, motivated, perservered, active socially, worked full-time in a stressful occupation and handled it, a good friend, good memory, articulate, well-read, great focus and concentration, good public speaker, good teacher, happy for real, didn't have to fake being happy around others, clean, neat, tidy, prioritized, organized, involved in civic activities, capable of multi-tasking, fun-loving, center of attention, social oriented, country girl at heart, excelled at work, school, whatever I did.
2.  see above
3.  see above
4.  see above
5.  Well, I've retained some of that - I'm a good mother, family member, a good friend, country girl at heart.  I'm still motivated, but toward different goals, I still persevere though toward different goals, I have snippets of real happiness.   I still love to have fun and the center of attention and socially oriented.  (by center of attention, I mean telling jokes, cutting up, playing pranks with each other, etc). 
Section 2 about the world and other people
I respect everyone's right to be who they are, believe what they believe and do what they do unless it infringes on another person (illegal activities, intentionally causing harm). 
2.  I don't expect other people to act a certain way.  lol, they wouldn't all call me with their problems but that's okay, it means I'm well-respected for my knowledge and capabilities.
3.  I believe all people should be treated with respect and dignity, so there fore I think other people should treat others that way as well. 
4.  I do beleive that about other people.
5.  Peace, love and harmony - but realistically - in the 21st century - I can only pray.
6.  I recognize things that occur in the world effect me directly, my only say in what occurs is through exercising my right to vote and making sure my gov't knows my opinion, via my congressman,representative. 
Section 3
The FUTURE- I want to go back to the future (pre-depression).
1.  I believe I can recoop some of the things that I mentioned in Section 1 that I'm striving to achieve.  i.e. focus, concentration, motivation, perserverence, real happiness, goal driven - oriented, etc.
2.  See #1 this section
3.  I dont' see myself doing anything different.  Right now, I've learned (just today) that there are tests that can be run to determine prefrontal lobe cortex deficits which might effect finding the most effective tx for deprression and other mental illnesses.  I'm looking into that as a possibiity.  I will continue my regime, even though at times, it seems to be ineffective.
I'll keep on trucking. 

Is this what I'm supposed to be saying - it seems so rote, redundant and superficial.??????
Questions about Yourself
1.What would you like to be like?
2.What kind of person would you like to be?
3.How would you like to behave?
4.What would you like to believe about yourself
5.How would you be acting differently if you believed that about yourself?
Questions about the World and Other People
1.How would you like other people to be?
2.How would you like other people to act?
3.What would you like to believe about other people?
4.How would you be acting differently if you belie
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

What exactly are you having trouble with?  Are you having trouble with the postive core beleif questions? 

Ashley, Health Educator
howdy y'all,
I told ya I was gonna finish this program and then work on all the auxillary lessons.  I'm stuck!  I can't seem to get passed the first exercise in session nine.  It so stresses to not continue without completing it.  Do I need to "back track" because I've not been thorough enough in other sessions?

I finally took it to my therapist last week - I see him again next week.  It will give him time to review it and he knows I come here, so I'm sure he'll do a bit o' research to help me. 

However, since y'all are here and the moderators, thought someone might be able to offer some advice.  it's difficult concentrating right now, but it wasn't when I first read the exercise......

Reading this thread: