Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Depression as a comorbid condition

12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Greg for sharing your insight about the connection between ADHD and MDD.  You really sound very positive and hopeful.  It helps so much to see someone figuring out the complexities and offering possibilities.  Getting the right diagnosis is a powerful tool.  It always helps to learn we aren't "just crazy" ... sounds backwards, but it's true.  Anyway, thanks for sharing.... very encouraging!
12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Greg,

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling much better!

Keep letting us know how you're doing. 

All the best,
Sonia
12 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, the depression is certainly still there, but it's so much better that I'm not doing anything. My energies are focused on coping with the ADHD, and since this site isn't about ADHD, I don't want to dwell on that.

Eventually, I will have to address the remaining feelings of depression, but right now I feel so much better that I guess I'm hoping they'll just go away. I know it would be easy to fall into a black mood thinking about what might have been if I had been diagnosed earlier, or feel bad because this condition affects me, but I don't. I feel that, OK, this is the hand I've been dealt, I'll see what I can do. 

The most terrible thing about depression, for me anyway, was not knowing why I was feeling what I did. Now, just having an explanation makes the load much lighter. I can accept feeling depressed due to real causes - what I hated was the idea that some invisible, internal thing was causing the depression. I suspect many of those here with MDD feel the same.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Greg, 

Thanks for sharing your insight!  I imagine you have some relief knowing one of the factors involved in your symptoms of depression.  Now that you know the reason, what coping strategies do you find most effective in helping you overcome those feelings?
Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all,

I've been away for a while, but I think about this site often. I just wanted to post a little update on myself, and to encourage others to keep looking for answers.

Several months ago I began treatment for adult ADHD. Some of the signs and symptoms of ADHD in adults are poor work history, not finishing school, poor or no planning skills, and the more well known problems with focus and concentration. As you can see some of these are very common in discussions of depression as well. And depression occurs quite often in people with ADHD, triggered by frustration and failure to cope with things in life that others seem to handle very easily.

I had never been diagnosed with ADHD as a child (it would have been called ADD back then), but looking back, it sure explains a lot. I was always an 'underacheiver', and my report cards always said I could do much better if only I applied myself.  And any time I've been successful enough at work to be given management type responsibilities, I quickly become overwhelmed and depressed.

Last summer I became quite ill, and stopped taking my antidepressants very suddenly, no tapering off. The side effects of this were some very vivid dreams, so vivid that I looked it up to see if stopping my medication (Effexor) could be the cause. And yes, it probably was. I also found a post by someone who was experiencing vivid dream while stopping Effexor and starting on Ritalin, because he had been diagnosed with adult ADHD. So I looked up the symptoms of ADHD, and saw my entire past described. Long story short, my doctor arranged for me to see a psychiatrist, and he agreed that it was quite probable that not only have I had ADHD all my life, but it was very possibly the trigger for depression.

I'm doing better now, not perfect, but better. I work on coping strategies to help me plan, and have medication to help me focus. I still get frustrated with myself from time to time, and a little depressed that there are things I'll never be able to do well. But now I know that there is a reason behind how I feel, and things I can do to help myself, and that has been the biggest change for me.

I realize many people here do suffer from MDD, and have to deal with that. But there is always the chance that the feelings of depression have another cause, like in my case. So please take a look at your symptoms and your past, and discuss things with your doctor to see if there could be another condition that is the problem.

Sorry for the over long post, but if this helps even one other person, it's worth it.

Greg

Reading this thread: