Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Co-occuring disorders

13 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Goofy,

I went through a bout of vertigo that lasted for 2 1/2 months and it is just now getting better..I can sympathize with your situation and know how debilitating and frighting this can be. I don't have a lot of advice to offer except to say to be careful and take it easy until the symptoms easy up..Luckily I am retired and not working. I don't know how I would of made it to work...I did have someone drive me to my quilting classes even so it was very hard to stay focused on class being that I was dizzy and the room was spinning..I missed most of the last semester, but things are getting better now and I am back in class..One thing I did was cutback on my activities, I had over extended myself and this helped me get through it....

Sid
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Goofy,

Sorry to hear of your trouble. It sounds like you are doing all the right things for yourself. I'm glad you checked with your doctor and know the possible root of the issue. What can you do to change your schedule and responsibilities while this is going on? What kind of support do you have at work and home? It's hard but keep thinking positive as it sounds like it comes and goes. This might be a good time to review the material in the program for a CBT refresher.

Stay strong!
Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

As I have mentioned in several posts, I have Meniere's Disease.  I had not had a dizziness since I had procedures (3) done last May.  I have had 4 and 1/2 in the past month.  I called the Dr.  regarding this and they told me it is common even with the procedures to have dizziness with the changes of the season and barometric pressure.  The barometric pressure changes, I've not studied enough to understand.  The change in the season is usually due to allergies.  I don't know if I have allergies but I guess I'm going to find out, don't know that anything can be done. It's spring and the flowers are blooming here.  It is also the rainy season here and that means frequent changes in barometric pressure.  It effects my interactions with work and actually causes me to want to sleep, no light and noise.  Sort of like a migraine but no pain.  The meds don't make the symptoms go away, they just cause me to want to sleep (valium and meclizine).  Since it interferes with my ability to walk, concentrate and focus (talk well - words and thoughts don't go together well) and effects work, ability to interact with others, even having visitors, exercise, computers (I'm struggling here to type).  I have a tendence to take a dip with my depression.  I try to have a positive attitude - this too shall pass.  However, no matter what negative thoughts I have I have difficulty challenging them.

I know others on here have co-occuring disorders are well.  Any insight into how to manage the negative thoughts and prevent the "dip" with the depression.  Also a lot anxiety, but I guess that's the fear.  I've been dizzy the last 4 out of 5 days.  I'm avoiding the outside as well, due to the propensity for allergies to effect this as well thus cabin fever.  I'm a bit frustrated so I'm reaching out for coping strategies.

Reading this thread: