Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,518 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Hospital

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TigerT,

Like the others, I encourage you to reach out for help and take what help is available to you. As for hospitalisation, well, I was hospitalized once and in my case, the stay was incredibly helpful. It really did make a difference in my life and well-being. Plus, it kept me safe during a really tough period in my life. So, you really should consider getting help if you need it. There is no shame in it and it can be truely helpful.
14 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been hospitalized and it wasn't such a bad experience. The first time I was in I was scared to death not knowing what was going on or what was going to happen. The best thing for me was being around people who understood because they have been through it. I didn't feel like I was being judged or misunderstood. The groups were stupid sometimes but some of them were really really good. I've been inpatient 3x and I would go again if I had to.

I encourage you to do whatever you need to do to get help if you want it.

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TigerT,   I am unaware of resources in Australia.  Sorry I can be of assistance in that area.  I've come close to being hospitalized and refused on one occasion; the second occasion they referred me to partial hospitalization (go to hospital during the day and participate in groups, etc. and then go home at night); again, I refused.  Hindsight is 20/20 - I think it would have made things easier quicker.  I was in denial to the point I wasn't willing to help myseld.  I guess you can call "I don't need that!"  denial.  I can do this without that.  I could and I did but I sure took the long road.  If you need it go for it.  Search for resources available call local government agencies, see if any programs operate on a sliding fee scale (based on income).  Also see if there are any facilities that offer volunteer therapist programs (retired therapists who volunteer).  ????
Glad you posted.  Do what you need to do to take care of you...YOU are the most important person.

14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TigerT,

I can't really relate because I've never actually had to spend time in the hospital overnight. However, I am a firm believer that sometimes we need to proudly wave the white flag and reach out for help. If that help requires you to be in the hospital for a few days then I suggest you go through with it. It can be unpleasant at times, but I think it would be worth it. That's just my opinion. Either way, know that we are here for you and we support your decisions. Keep us posted!

Strength

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tiger,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a few bad weeks. It sounds like you have been through quite a lot in the past few weeks, thank you for sharing your experience with us. Hopefully it has helped to explain your experience. Do reach out to those around you and keep them updated on what's going on. They care about you and your well-being. Work through the program, read through old posts and go through with booking an appointment with the therapist. We are here for you, keep us posted, check in soon.

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, TigerT:   

I was in the hospital, or Mental Health Care Facility, last fall.   I, too, knew I couldn't be alone at home and had to be somewhere, but the first couple of days there I didn't think it was the place for me.   About the 3rd day, I started to participate in the "groups" throughout the day and follow the program they had established for me.   On the 5th day, I didn't want to leave.      I did leave when my stay was up and I felt so much better.   They did provide me with follow-up care and checked on me to make sure I was participating.   
I had good insurance and it didn't cost me a cent, but I know the care is very expensive and one usually can't afford it without some type of insurance.   I encourage you to enter some kind of facility or program.   Deprerssion is a tough thing to handle and it leads to so many other symptoms, physical and emotional.  Keep us posted and Good Luck!

Rebbie
14 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,
Well, I've had a few very bad weeks. Until last week I had not told my parents or friends what had been happening to me. I went to see my GP and he sent me straight to the ER which I stayed in for a few evenings, until a bed was found for me in a mental health unit. The problem is that the whole experience was so terrifying and overwhelming that I left the MHU after one night. On the other hand one positive aspect is that two of my good friends now know and are being very supportive and they told my parents who are also trying to be supportive and are happy to have me stay for a few weeks.

I told my GP how I was feeling (last week I didn't plan on being here today) and I think he is loath to help me alone. I'm trying to get psychiatrist and psychologist appointments at the moment and things are very slow. Community mental health can't get me one till the 22nd and I'm trying to get a private appointment but I don't know if that will be any quicker.
To cap things off I live in a different city to my parents (~4 hours away and a different state) and I have two jobs and dont want to take too much time off, but nor do I think living by myself is a good idea at the moment.

Has anyone ever been in hosptial? I know treatment will be quicker, but they are pretty horrible places. Was it worth it to deal with the unpleasentness to get good/fast treatment?
My time in the ER wasn't too bad, kept me safe for a few nights, but no administration of care. But at least I know it's an option if I need it, but it wont help me in the long term.
I really dont know what to do right now and I know that transfer of care, (particularly as different states have different health care systems) is going to be hard and I may need to start the whole process all over again if/when I decide to move back home.
Any ideas or suggestions? 

I'm starting to think I should have stayed in hospital. Gosh I wish I had private health insurance.

Reading this thread: