Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Feelings of Being Dismissed

14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Grumbles,

Don't ever apologize for having a good day!
Embrace it, share it, and spread those positive energies!

Hope you are all enjoying your Mondays

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I often get discouraged when I talk to educators and health care professionals as well.  Heck, even when I see different doctors about a certain physical illness I may have I get different information.  I try to remind myself that they are only human beings just like us and it would be impossible for them to know all the right answers. 

I have learned over the years that when it comes down to it, you and only you are responsible for your health.  If you do not like the care you are getting you simply need to do more research to find the health care provider or information that you are looking for.

I know it sounds a little harsh but its true.  There are doctors and educators that are better at their jobs then others, there are doctors and educators that have good and bad days there are doctors and educators that may specialize in this or that.  I believe you can learn something from every human being on the earth but it’s up to you on who and how much information you will gain.

Try to remain positive furgitit.  I know it sometimes feels impossible. I also know sometimes you just want to scream at a health care provider who seems to just not care.  But try to be thankful that we live in a world where there is an abundance of information and educated people we can utilize.  Geesh, look at this site. Its free and has an amazing program, with amazing people in it, and amazing health educators J.  Its amazing the gifts we are given today.  Not that long ago our illnesses were not even diagnosable.  We are moving forward my friends! 

LOL Sorry I am having a very good day today! 

14 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow,
I was reading on a blog i follow ... the exact same feeling from another woman with bipolar disorder coming from her psychiatrists over the Years!

Have you thought of seeing someone who is more -knowledgable- in eating disorders? 
Sometimes it is not a question of you need to eat this particular thing...
   it is a question of you need to eat.

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Furgitit,

I wish I had something helpful to say. All I can say is that I can see how frustrating it must be to feel like your questions and concerns are dismissed offhand. I am sorry you have had to go through that experience. All I can really say is that I am here to support you and listen to you. 

Sorry to hear you are in a down cycle. Hope you feel better soon :)
14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
furgittit,

It can sometimes be incredibly difficult sometimes when speaking to a health care professional or educator as they do not necessarily understand all of your life experiences and how these have affected you in particular ways. With the time limits of counselling sessions and appointments, this can become increasingly frustrating.

A number of agencies with health care professionals operate under specific mandates or therapeutic frameworks. This may be why you have the feeling that these educators simply tell you what to do based on the available research. Many agencies have the information available on what type of framework they operate under. Perhaps try researching agencies that have mandates similar to your own interests and needs. Are you look for something more short-term that is solution-focused? Or are you looking for more in-depth information on cognitive behavioual training? What about a framework that works through a narrative approach where you tell your own story in your own way? Take some time to review what you would like to get from your sessions with health care educators. From there, you can begin your search for a more specific type of therapy which works with your best interests in mind.

You mentioned that you were discharged by both your psychologist and psychiatrist. Would it be possible to re-engage in services with either of these? Perhaps you could call your psychologist and mention that you would like to begin sessions again with her? It may help if you bring forward specific topics or issues you would like to discuss with her and what she could do within her role to help you achieve your goals.

Members, any other advice for furgittit? Have you had a similar experience?

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I see (or speak with) a health care professional, provider or educator, I get the feeling that they are listening but don't really care.  It seems that they make minor attempts to placate me in the present, but do absolutely nothing that actually helps for the long term.  It is like there, there, it will be ok and they send you on your way.
I believe this is what my psychiatrist did, he seemed concerned and said that I would be ok and said I didn't need to see him again and to continue my therapy with my psychologist.  After my psychologist got the memo (which I haven't received a copy of) from the psychiatrist, she said that I didn't need to see her and asked me to call her if I start to feel overwhelmed again or in a crisis.  I am in a crisis everyday and overwhelmed all the time, some days I am just better able to cope with it.
Now the health care educators I have dealt with all seem to skirt the actual questions and say to me, this is how it is to be done because studies show or go figure it out for yourself.  Educators are supposed to educate, right?  When I start to question this, they run and hide and don't respond to me.  I only ask questions after I have attempted to obtain the information on my own.  Such as the dietician I went to see, she refused to believe that I couldn't eat certain foods (that are supposedly healthy for you according to studies, legumes, mushrooms, nuts, fish, water etc.) even though I had come armed with the information about Selective Eating Disorder, because the smell, taste and texture would make me vomit.  She said this is what you are supposed to eat and that disorder does not exist.  Dismissing my very valid concerns.
I do try to educate myself before asking questions, I only ask questions if I have found no other answers anywhere else. 
I don't know if I am the only one (crazy as they come) or if this is a depression thing.
Sorry, going through a down cycle today.

Reading this thread: