Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Query for Health educators

8 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley, yes that helps. Have a good Easter.
8 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs4U,

That is a great question. The fight/flight response can be triggered by anything we find stressful. What we find stressful is determined by our genetics and also by our upbringing and environment. There is some evidence that people who are prone to anxiety have a more reactive amygdala (the part of the brain that activates the fear response) other theories state that other parts of the brain or the neurotransmitters might be different - sorry I can't remember all the specifics now as I am not a neuroscience expert . Also, some people may have learned to fear certain situation.  For example, if someone was bullied as a child they may be more likely to have social anxiety. Or if someone saw a parent react fearful in certain situation they may have learned to be fearful as well. Did this answer your question? 
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was reading a book by Dr. Mel Borins, where he describes the autonomic nervous system, which overreacts to stress for the fight/flight response. If it's true that this system overreacts, then why do some people's triggers seem more subdued than others? His comment follows the description of how we went from fighting wild animals in pre-historic years to modern society where the stresses are deadlines, traffic congestion and waiting in lineups.

Reading this thread: