Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Social Anxiety Disorder

8 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was leaving a restaurant, and it bothered me as someone muttered, seemingly about me. Then as I was walking, a motorist looked at me, as I was taking my morning walk from church. I don't think I would care in the past, so something's changed as I take on too many projects, maybe...
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not really, it gives them a crutch and transfers the anxiety. It changes the natural tendency of the support person and they will avoid you so they don't have to do it. The person with social anxiety has to find a way to fit yet stay who they are. I have social anxiety.

Davit
8 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Does being extra kind to someone with social anxiety disorder help them?
8 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bumping up this thread...
8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Social anxiety disorder is a strong fear of being judged or humiliated in social situations. This fear interferes with day-to-day life and must be present for longer than six months. Sometimes the fear characteristic of social anxiety disorder is so intense that individuals avoid certain social situations in order to avoid the accompanying anxiety.

Did you know social anxiety is the most common anxiety disorder? One study showed it effects 8.1% of Canadians in their life time and another showed it effected 13.3% of Americans in their lifetime. Social anxiety is known as the "disorder of lost opportunities". Due to the fear and avoidance that characterizes social anxiety disorder; individuals miss out on optimal educational attainment, employment opportunities and social support.They also report lower levels of life satisfaction and poorer health then the general population. There is hope though. Social anxiety disorder can be treated.

If you feel you suffer from social anxiety disorder it would be great to hear from you. What is your experience? What are your challenges? What has been working for you?

If we have a lot of members posting we can start some themed threads on the topic.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: