Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Happy

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello hugs
I haven't read the book. 
The dead can not tell stories. The only stories from the Nazi camps came from  diaries or from the survivors so of course they found ways to cope. They also had no choice. The ones who gave up and dies said nothing. And there were many. There is a big difference emotionally and motivational to some one with a choice and someone with out. 
I prefer to read the original information rather than someones impression unless it comes with reference. Books have to much filler. My book on panic attacks is 46 pages and has no filler just information. I've been told it is easy to read and still for it's size not missing anything. (I wrote it for my own reference and have shared it with only a few, it is not published) Today I found an article on the Cerebellum ( little brain) that was out to lunch. ( no references either for their hypotheses) When I use the word environment I mean every thing that hits your senses. Everything. This goes through your Hippocampus ( it means seahorse because it is shaped like one) and it decides which pathway to use in memory. You do have choices and mood is a dictating factor. After leaving the hippocampus it goes through the hypothalamus where it directs your body and controls other organs that control such things as adrenaline and seratonin among others and they decide whether you are active or not. Your brain is not mush, it is responding to what you tell it. Very quickly after reaching the Hippocampus the Hippocampus decides whether to go down a negative or positive pathway depending on what it feels is appropriate. Mood as in happy, mad, fear etc all have their pathways and their solutions built on past experience. Past experience is anything not happening at this very moment. You want to change mood before your thought hits the hippocampus because once there it can not be changed and worse is that it will recycle as appropriate. 
All neurons are connected to other neurons. Neuroplastisity is the process whereby a signal takes a different one of these connections is all. It may do this a number of times before its final destination but it isn't random, it is coded to take similarly coded pathways. Mood sets the code it follows. Environment sets the mood but attitude overrides it. 

Davit.

9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, Have you read the book by Rick Hanson called Hardwiring Happiness with references to neuroplasticity? I'm not sure the environment makes my mood, since Nazi war camp survivors found ways of coping, so they developed better responses, in many cases. My brain is mush these days, ironically, and I lost some interest as I'm about to pick up the book, since he apparently used mindfulness, which I found hard to connect with when I took a meditation course. I've always liked progressive relaxation.
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy is a state of mind, an emotion and an attitude. CBT can not make you happy, it can increase your happiness. If you are doing CBT because it will make you happy you need to understand this. The only thing that can make you happy is your environment. And that often can not be changed. How you see it can make a difference. SSRIs can make you feel happy by blocking what makes you unhappy. At least while you take them. 
Being unhappy increases anxiety. CBT tools can make the anxiety tolerable and you can never have another panic attack and still not be happy. 80% anxiety free is considered cured by the professionals. That other 20% is probably due to your state of mind. And your state of mind is directly related to your environment. 
So what makes you happy? What makes you unhappy? What can you change, what can you ignore? What can not be changed? How can you deal with it? 
And the biggest question of all, is your happiness controlled by someone else? Do they know it? Do they use it, unconscious or not, it still affects you? How can you change this? Do you want to? old habits are hard to break.

If you want CBT to be easier to do then happy is something to aim for. 
So many people are unhappy they think it is normal. It has become normal. But it isn't is it.

Davit.

Reading this thread: