Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

PTSD

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
With the increase of stress in every day life it is my hope that with the right combination of medication and CBT that PTSD can become less of a terror and the millions with it can live a much more peaceful life. I don't think the atrocities will stop, history repeats itself so that only leaves repairing the damage done. I can see more cases of ASD showing up and it is interesting to see that there are warnings about overuse of medication. Fortunately CBT works for it. People are more willing to seek help than in the past. 
Whether it is just anxiety, ASD or PTSD it needs help. None of them are any fun.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit!

Josie, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think there needs to be an explanation of the difference between this and ASD, Acute Stress Disorder which is a lesser form of anxiety than PTSD. ASD is easier treated and goes away. PTSD never does. There is new information on why too but it is pretty much limited to those in the mental field. It makes interesting study. ASD can reoccur with a similar traumatic event but PTSD can reoccur just from memory or the lack of it. CBT works well with ASD (personal experience) My case was minimal and that may be why. ASD that lasts past a certain point and doesn't respond well to CBT gets reclassified as PTSD. The ability to use protective techniques of CBT may have kept me from becoming PTSD even thought the trauma was horrendous. I can replay the event with pretty good clarity and it has no effect. A PTSD sufferer would not be able to without a reaction. This is clinical since we can not know how they suffer without actually being in their shoes. There is however enough proof that it exists to prove it is not faked, it is very real. If it can be proved that actual chemical changes happen it could change the treatment. 

Davit
10 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is characterized by the re-experiencing of a traumatic event. The person's response to the trauma involves intense fear, helplessness, or horror. This disorder can occur in individuals who have undergone a traumatic experience such as a physical attack, rape, a natural disaster or an accident.

The symptoms of PTSD are listed below and occur for more a period longer than one month:

1 - Flashbacks: the person relives the traumatic event in some way. Flashbacks may be persistent thought or images of the scent or they may be vivid hallucinations. Individuals experiencing PTSD may re-experience the traumatic event over and over again.

2 – Avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma: Individuals with PTSD actively try to avoid anything that reminds them of the event. This can lead to disruptions in their normal life including, avoidance of their family and friends and anything or one that reminds them of the trauma

3 – Chronic arousal symptoms: These symptoms can include but are not limited to sleep disturbances, irritability, outburst of emotions or anger and difficulties in concentrating.

Any questions, comments or stories about PTSD? Post them here.

Reading this thread: