Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Treatment Options

11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Bren:  I can only imagine how upsetting this is to you as a mother.  I used to volunteer with the National Parole Board and met in halfway houses, etc. with parolees.  Many broke their parole for the silliest, smallest reasons which you and I would think twice about.  Some just don't have common sense or an I don't care attitude.  As a mother, parent, we want what's best for our kids, we love them don't we?  I just wanted to post and say I hope he does well in rehab and that you hang in there.  Sounds like you have realized something and that is that our adult children make their own choices, some heartbreaking ones too. Keep the faith!  
Thinking of you,
Sunny
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing Bren.

You are so right. I'm sorry to hear about your son but very happy to hear you were able to come to these conclusions. This is so important - empowering!

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good topic Ashley...
I have learned so much in the last year about anxiety,first,to learn how to deep breath,and relaxation for myself,then to learn and let go of all that i can not change,that includes people,and family problems...
How to cope with those feelings in a positive way...i am going to use my own experiance here...as of a few days ago,i learned that my youngest son,who i thought was being truthful to his probation officers,was indeed not,and yesterday,he was sent again to rehab,in the northern part of the state..At first,i was hurt,felt lied to,let down,,,that was the Mother in me..then i was very angry!!thats normal..i have every right to be hurt and angry,at him!
Not me or anyone elese....he brought this all on to himself...i can not change the fact..but i have accepted the fact,and now feel i may have a more peaceful Christmas knowing he is were he is....At first i took this anger out on my sister and my daughter...after a good cry,and facing them with appologies,i felt so much better that i told them what had happened and why,i felt a big load off myself,as i did not try to hide anything,even my hurt and pain....
So...the moral of this....accept what you are dealt with,accept what you can not change,and let go of the pain and hurt,that was caused...and that you have done all you can do......
Bren
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It’s important not to let anxiety go untreated. There are many different forms of treatment for anxiety, both traditional and non-traditional. For those of you using the site, you are familiar with both behaviour and cognitive forms of therapy. The goal of these is to modify and gain control over unwanted behaviours and change your thought patterns.

In behaviour therapy, we learn how to cope with different situations through exposure exercises in controlled doses. This benefits individuals as it teaches them life long skills to deal with various situations. Behaviour therapy can take practice before results are seen. Often times, an individual must expose themselves to difficult situations multiple times before they learn the coping skills to deal with it.

Cognitive therapy is similar to behaviour therapy in that it can take a while to work as individuals are actively involved in the recovery process, challenging their thought patterns. Through this type of therapy, people learn to examine their thoughts and feelings and learn to separate realistic thoughts and feeling from false thoughts.

Relaxation therapy is also encouraged for many panic sufferers. Through relaxation therapy, one is expected to learn how to resolves stresses that can contribute to anxiety. Breathing techniques, stretching and mind calming activities are used to help achieve a relaxed state. As with both cognitive and behaviour therapy, relaxation techniques can take a long time to learn and properly employ.

Medication can also play an important role in the treatment of panic. Helping to resolve symptoms and restore chemical imbalances in the brain can help to deal with the immediate symptoms of panic and move forward in treatment.

Members, this topic is always present in our forums. What treatments have you found beneficial to you in helping you overcome your anxiety and panic?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: