Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Benefits of a strong support network

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
anerol

If some thing like that which you did not expect can effect you then what else hey! In the hypervigilant even unconscious things can cause a lot of anxiety. Acceptance is still I think the best coping skill for this.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My sister just moved out and I feel like there's a big hole in my heart. I didn't know that I'd be so sad about it especially because she's still in the same town but I realized how much my family meant to me after she left. We don't think alike and most of them don't really fully understand my situation but I felt grateful for the things I have with them even if it's just a few. I hope a therapist will help me in this soon.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a long way to go for trusting, and my panic cycle swirls negativity around so it's hard to let people near, even online
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi peace,
I'm very happy to hear of the support you have with family members.  Offering a gym membership was a very thoughtful gift from your aunt.    Physical exercise does wonders for the mind & body.  I hope you enjoy the yoga!  Continue to post with us and share your updates.

Eleveno,
Requesting help from your therapist is a great idea.  It sounds like you have built a great rapport with her.
Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Having a supportive network is so important but the most important thing is to choose the members of the network. This people should understand what is happening with us and should be supportive and encouraging.

I never thought about the accountabilities of the support network until now, and I will start working on this right away. Today I have an appointment with my therapist and I will ask for her help since I want to be accountable to my therapist.
12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I feel compelled to post on this discussion because today I am feel extremely fortunate and hopeful thanks to a couple of wonderful people in my life. I have been very discouraged lately because I lost my job as a result of my panic attacks and have basically been stuck in the house with nothing to do. Money has been tight so it limits my ability to do things, to a certain extent, even just having enough gas to drive somewhere to get my mind off things. It has also been incredibly hot here so going for a walk has not been much of a viable option either. So I pace around the house all day having constant attacks and that's obviously not good. I have the opposite of what a lot of people have--I am better when I am out and distracted as opposed to being home alone with my thoughts. I used to not be able to go out without a taking a ton of xanax, but now it's the opposite. Kind of strange. But anyway, I have a wonderful aunt who lives halfway across the country from me and today she offered to pay for me to join a beautiful gym near my house that offers yoga classes. My son, who is aware of my problem to a certain extent (I have not given him specific details!!!) went with me today to check the place out because he knows that I sometimes have trouble being in places with lots of people. He was so sweet and tried to assure me that it would be such a big help to get out of the house, get some exercise, and actually interact with people once again.

I am so grateful to have caring, understanding, helpful people in my life. I will be accountable to my aunt by checking in with her and letting her know how often I am going to classes, whether or not it is helping, and other things I am doing in addition. I am accountable to my son because he is everything to me and I need to be strong and healthy in order to be a good parent, which is all I've ever wanted to be. He has a job and offered to contribute to the membership fees so that he can go, too, especially at times when I may be afraid to go alone. I love that kid so much and I will succeed for myself and for him.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

When dealing with the stress of making a significant behaviour change the people you surround yourself with can make a world of difference. Creating a strong support network can help lift your mood and can even increase your motivation.

Make yourself even more accountable by including a few key people in on your goals. This will ensure that you feel accountable to not only yourself but to an outside person. Let them in on the steps you will be taking to achieve your goals. Be sure to let them know how they can help you and what they can do to assist you in achieving success.

Members, how have you incorporated your support network into your journey? How will you remain accountable to these people? How does their support affect you?

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: