Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

My possible solution

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  I find the muscle relaxation and visualization most helpful before bed.  If I feel anxious during the day I may do breathing exercise too, quick scan of the body to see where the tension is and try and relax those muscles.  If it's something I'm worried about, perhaps distraction will help, doing something else.  If not, journaling.  No one mentions prayer on the site very much probably because it is such a personal thing and we want to be respectful of one another's beliefs, however, it can also relieve stress. 

Sunny

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dizzy,

Just my opinion. Paragraph one, Yes. Paragraph two, yes. Paragraph three, maybe. Paragraph four, sort of. Paragraph five, Avoidance is a symptom of agoraphobia. Agoraphobia has two definitions depending on who you talk to. Paragraph six, yes. Paragraph seven, very true.

Dizzy how many of your symptoms are related. I and Shari put colours to our dragons because some are from the same family. Thus done it was much less daunting. Baby steps, chain one family of dragons at a time. We quit trying to kill the dragons and just chained them up, sort of like a warning to other dragons to stay away. You can do this to. You can live with them knowing you are the one with the control, not them.

Here for you
Davit
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dizzy,

You are such a trooper to continue to try to figure this out from every angle. Behaviour changes might be the key for you..as they say: fake it til you make it. Meaning, act in a certain way, and that will help you feel that way eventually.

Have you tried relaxation techniques before bed and as soon as you open your eyes? Something like deep breathing could be helpful to you. Getting into the calmest state before bed may keep your anxiety from rebounding in the AM. You may also want to try journalling your frustrations before employing your relaxation technique at night.

It may take a few tries before your body gets into the habit of being calm. Be sure to also use the program. Session 2 & 3 will teach you to recognize and challenge anxious thoughts. Definitley, baby steps is the way to go with most big changes. And mindfulness, awareness, is a great tool: slow down, stop, just 'be'.

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I have in the back of my mind that I will not be able to conquer attacks until I have endured anxiety symptoms and proved to myself that I can withstand the symptoms.  I have decided that I will not be able to solve the attacks until I solve the problem of working with attack (anxiety) and confusion and being competent enough to keep my job without resorting to my old habit of tensing up to avoid confusion.

To be perfectly honest here tensing up did not work anyway it is more of a way of fighting the anxiety then an actual strategy that works. Feeling the way I do know and not having an attack today  but having anxiety  yesterday I do not feel any better for not having an attack. I said it before that not having an attack is not going to get rid of the confusion from working and the anxiety from writing or making a mistake that I developed as a child. Therefore,  I do not need an attack to have symptoms while working I have enough anxiety to create symptoms with just working alone.

Upon starting this whole expedition to having no panic attacks and anxiety, I thought that when I got to this level where I am now that it would struggle with dizziness the thing that started my attacks. Therefore, in the back of my mind I figured I would have to take the dizziness and accept it as my way out of it or prove that I can take it. This thought has not gone away it has just morphed into having to a fight with confusion. The fact that there is nothing I can do about it and I have to prove myself that I can handle the confusion and be able to work. This would be the first victory I would have in my mind with attacks and not acting in a maladaptive way towards them or AVOIDING situations.

How can I cognitively get myself out of a thought that I have to accept symptoms to prove to myself that there is nothing to be feared from attacks.  I think that I knew all along that even if I got rid of attacks that I was going to be a battle to just work with all the sensations I have from just simple things like a temperature change.

I have been reading a book on acceptance of symptoms  and it made it clear to me all the things I was avoiding, an outside life, work outside, friends, and family, social occasions. When I look through my life all I can see is more and more avoidance although not agoraphobia as it is defined.

I have CBT away my attacks from turning in bed, which was the old trigger. Then the attack reason became wanting to get out of bed without an attack to avoided confusion. Then I worked on that thought about trying to get rid of confusion to be able to go back to work. The book I am reading says that I put up this symptom as a way to avoided all the things in my life. To be quite honest it is always something. This I have learned through CBT that I always come up with an excuse “if I just could rid of “, I would be able to do everything I wanted. I know this is a false statement. I am battling not just panic attacks, but a lifetime of core beliefs that give me symptoms.

I am concluding that I may never get rid of all the symptoms or if I do, it will have to be done behaviorally. That is as Davit would say I have to face the dragons outside the house. Perhaps the one thing I can take from this site is not to jump in 100% to start gradually doing things that I have avoided. All the things I have avoided cause symptoms but I do not think they are attacks.

This does not mean I am giving up on CBT I just think I am in a circular loop that I have to get out of bed to have no confusion so I can go back to work. I cannot go back to work in a confused state. I really see no way out of this loop cognitively but I can see a way out behaviorally. The book I am reading talks about mindfulness and I see this as a way to still be in confusion state and to be able to work through it at the same time. Then confusion is no longer a danger.

Any thoughts if someone could cognitively get me out of my circular loop I would love to hear it.

Dizzy

Reading this thread: