Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

How to avoid Holiday Stress Part 4

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi asio

I developed a fat phobia a while back when I was having trouble breathing and it has stuck with me. I still have difficulty eating some times but I find that when I can I like to spend some time making something nice and enjoying it. I am really looking forward to Christmas which is why I started Celexa again. Right now I'm having a hard time getting myself to do all the baking. I like to prepare as much as I can ahead of time and freeze it in small portions so it's not all sitting in my face on Christmas day. One of the things that helped my self esteem was losing close to fifty pounds. I do the same. I never refuse myself something I crave and if I can't stop from eating it all then I have less of something else.

Hi sunny

I've had to say no to a couple of invites because it would mean not doing my own Christmas thing. It's not that hard especially if you have a good reason for it. It really surprises people to know that I'm not having a stuffed peanut butter sandwich and a beer for Christmas. I do hope to find the time to visit though.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's been a little different for me, I have some panic associated with eating. Could be because I have been overweight for years or not I am not sure but since the eating for the last 6 months has triggered them I have eaten so much less I have actually lost 44 pounds. Everyone keeps asking me what I am doing, or if I am on a diet. I just let them know that I am cutting back on what I eat (which is true) I am now 30 lbs away from my goal and feeling even more motivated to get there since I am more than halfway there. How I have been focused is by not limiting myself to anything. I know it sounds strange but like this program you have to tell yourself things to purswade yourself. So if I tell myself I cannot have it...hmmm guess what I crave it more than before. If I tell myself I can have whatever I want in small proportions I want it much less. Just the other day I was craving a peanut butter twix (yum) and instead of eating both of them I saved one for my next craving. Now I know this is much easier said than done but it is possible. I guess I can say this is the only positive thing that has come out of my panic attacks :)
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  Exactly as you write - learn how to say no.  My husband and I both have said no to a couple of parties.  We would have liked to go but knew it would have been too exhausting for us.  We chose the occasions carefully and tried not to feel guilty about saying no to those two.

- I have been doing the breathing exercises every day
- writing down what I need to do and striking off what I have finished (this gives me a concrete view of what I have accomplished and need to accomplish without the worries running around my head all day and night). 
- I have started eating lightly and well because I get acid indigestion easily, so starting now to watch what I eat.
- I'm trying to take "one day at a time" and not worrying about everything at once.

I still need to get to bed earlier, and I still need more fresh air.  mmmmm' now that I see that in writing.....lol
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members

Learn to say no. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you have to say no, people will understand.  If you do say yes when you know you don’t want to you’ll end up resenting others and feeling overwhelmed. If working overtime is necessary, try clearing other tasks from your schedule.

Don't throw away healthy habits.  Don’t let the holidays take over your diet. With all the tempting foods at arms reach it may seem like a good idea to indulge but overindulging will only add stress and guilt. Choose the healthiest of the selection like the fruit and veggies and don’t go overboard on sugary treats, and drinks.

Members, how do you plan on staying healthy over the holidays?  How will you insure that you stick with your goals?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: