Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Sugar Substitutes

14 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stevia is awesome. We use it in our tea instead of honey.
Splenda is being marketed as healthy for you but it is anything but.
You can even try Xylitol. It's also a natural product.

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all.

Two comments on sugar and substitutes. I have arthritis and Hypoglycemia. These two can be major panic inducers. So thus said. Absolutely no Aspertane. And sugar spikes, it's not the spike that is the problem, it's the drop. It's almost impossible with low blood sugar to concentrate. So I eat an orange to bring it back up again. Any one familliar with The anti inflamatory zone.  It basicly says balance sugars with protien. (pancakes and syrup with bacon eggs sausage etc.) If you can't give up excess sugar try this. (I use Rogers organic sugar, it comes in a convenient box too, and it doesn't stink like processed sugar.) Oh sorry, Third comment. If you have unusually high craving for sugar even though it makes you sick, you may have candida in your blood stream. Dragged down, slightly drunk feeling, need a nap sort of thing. This does not go well with panic!!

Davit
14 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't really like Equal or Sweet & Low, so Splenda was like a God send to me... But then I just Googled "splenda side effects"   and am not so sure it's the best route to go. Maybe I should just stick to good ol' sugar LOL
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sugar Substitutes

Like Pooh Bear and his honey jar, sweet treats are the comfort food of choice for many of us. Most of us (since childhood) unconsciously associate sugar with emotions of love, reward and pleasure.

Sugar after all, is a carbohydrate which fuels our brain and muscles. Eating sugar raises blood sugar levels and insulin……..but the quick rise results in a quick crash causing the body to crave more. This is how sugar addiction begins.

Sugar in high amounts has been linked to poor glucose regulation, poor immune function, weight gain issues, digestive complaints and even poor brain function (attention deficit, poor memory, hyperactivity).

With the modern era and advanced food-processing techniques, several sugar substitutes have been created ranging from artificial sweeteners like saccharin, aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet, Splenda).  These products have fuelled controversy on the health risks and adverse effects of artificial sweeteners. This is due to the chemicals in these sweeteners that have known hazards.  But some evidence indicates they are appropriate for diabetics or those trying to lose weight.

Members………..what are your thoughts on sugar and artificial sweeteners?

Consider using substitutes and alternatives to white sugar such as honey, molasses, brown sugar and a new herbal product called Stevia. These are natural sources that prevent unknown health hazards when used in moderation.

Reading this thread: