Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,477 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Trouble with Sleeping

14 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Regular Sleep,

To me thats unheard of. I think maybe once every two weeks i get a good night sleep.  My mind races so bad.  I have come so accustomed to no or little sleep. 

Colleen
14 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I have trouble getting to sleep I do some gentle stretches jsut sitting on the floor next to my bed.  This help release some of the tension I feel in my muscles from the anxiety.  I also put on either classical music or christian music very softly in my room with a sleep timer so it goes off after I get to sleep.  This will keep my mind from wandering thru all the thoughts that keep the anxiety close to me.  Hope this helps someone else.
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning All - I'm new to this so here goes, I suffer from panic attacks also, I can't sleep & when I try to lie down just to rest my body I start having these darn crying fits along with the pain of unable to control my body. I'm so glad I found this forum where I am reading that I am not the only one who suffers from this. Many Thanks to you all for sharing your stories and experiences. I know we are all going to get better soon. Oh yeah I too have been awake since 9:15 Sunday morning . Have A Great Day All. I'm going to try lying down again and hopefully  I will get some sleep. Thanks for your time.
Sandy
14 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Having the same problem here. I've been trying to sleep since about 1AM & it's now 2:47... Im having a panic/anxiety attack that includes muscle spasms, chest discomfort, & discomfort... I've been having attacks for almost a month now
14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi! I'm new to the group...I'm having trouble sleeping because I had my last panic attack at night. I haven't been able to go to sleep before midnight since....(my last big panic attack was a week ago tonight)...This presents a problem because I'm a nurse and have to get up at 5:30am.
It's a struggle....a little weary of having to go thru "all of this again." I thought I was "cured" - my last panic attacks was about 5 years ago....frustrating...
Kim
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

A lack of sleep or sleeping too much can affect our general level of anxiety and stress. Try to get enough sleep. If you’re having trouble sleeping try the following:

Try to get on a sleep schedule. Go to bed at a regular time each night and get up at a regular time in the morning. Try to not stay up late watching TV or on the computer and try not to sleep during the day. If you get on a sleep schedule, we guarantee that you’ll begin to feel better.

Try to make the room you sleep in as quiet as possible. Consider ear plugs or a sleep mask.

Use your bed only for sleeping. Don’t lounge around in your bed. If you spend too much time lounging in bed, watching T.V., drinking coffee, or eating, your body will learn that your bed is NOT a place for sleeping.

If you can’t sleep after half an hour in bed don’t stay in bed trying to sleep. Get up and do some quiet activity. For example, read a book for a half hour and then try going back to bed. If you still can’t sleep, get up and do something quiet once again.

Try to keep your bedroom at a comfortable temperature - not too cold and not too hot.

Try to get some exercise every day. You’ll feel better and sleep will come much quicker.

Try not to exercise or work hard late in the evening. It could make you feel wired.

Don’t drink anything with caffeine or alcohol for 4 hours before you go to bed.

Try not to eat a heavy meal in the evening. Don’t eat just before you go to bed.

If you’re not sleeping at night, avoid naps during the day.

Use relaxation techniques. Box breathing may help you relax at bed time.

Members, do you have trouble sleeping?  What helps you?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: