Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Anxious thoughts - Jumping to Conclusions

15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I jump to conclusions every time I get a new pain. First it was my heart, then my brain, now my stomach. I try to tell mysefl there is nothing wrong with me, but it is challenging. I try to stop and use the 10 questions but it is difficult to tell the brain i'm not dying of some disease.
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Title: Anxious thoughts – Jumping to Conclusions
Continuing on in our discussion about common anxious thoughts, today we’ll be talking about “jumping to conclusions”. Jumping to conclusions is what happens when you decide something is true or not true too fast or before you have looked at all of the evidence. For example, anxious thoughts like “I’m going to faint” or “I’m losing control” can be considered jumping to a conclusion if the person has never fainted or lost control in the past.

If you don’t look at all of the evidence you can underestimate or overestimate the chance of something happening. For example, a person with agoraphobia might say that they have a 100% chance of having a panic attack if they go to the store or ride the busy, when in reality the chances are a lot less. Others may think that everyone can see them shaking or sweating when in reality most people are probably not watching. Unless you know all the evidence, you may be jumping to conclusions.  

Members, do you find yourself jumping to conclusions? At the first sign of a physical symptom do you conclude that you are having a panic attack? Do you avoid places because you are so sure that you will have a panic attack?

Faryal - Health Educator

Reading this thread: