Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Social Anxiety

15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yup, this guy is still working on it.  Good days and bad one's, but I'm no quitter...and I'm getting better and better at weeding out the difference between reality and the dreamworld anxiety creates.

As for genes, does NOT fit my family tree.  Everyone is extroverted or beyond.  Irish and Japanese people!  Biochem and fear, well honestly I had no problem I couldn't overcome before, so my belief is the drugs I did for 6 months messed my head up a bit.  (I quit roughly 2-3 years before my anxiety began.)

The rest of the stuff, I was a shy kid, but I also always overcame that relatively fast whenever I jumped into a new situation.  And I moved a whole lot since my dad was in the military, so I had plenty of new situations to jump in to and have fun with.

I doubt it was learned from someone else, I'm the only one I know in my circle with anxiety.  I agree with this theory if the parents had social anxiety, or someone you spent a LOT of time with...as I only learned small personality tidbits from friends, but my character I got from my parents.

I had plenty of negative and positive experiences, though much more positive ones. 
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Social anxiety is defined as the intense fear of social interactions. This can include speaking in public, social gatherings or other.

Like many other mental health conditions, social anxiety disorder likely arises from a complex interaction of environment and genes. Researchers continue to study possible causes, including:

·         Genes: Researchers are seeking out specific genes that play a role in anxiety and fear. Social anxiety disorder seems to run in families. But it's not clear whether that hereditary component is related to genetics or to anxious behavior you learn from other family members.

·         Biochemistry: Researchers are exploring the idea that natural chemicals in your body may play a role in social anxiety disorder. For instance, an imbalance in the brain chemical serotonin could be a factor. Serotonin, a neurotransmitter, helps regulate mood and emotions, among other things. People with social anxiety disorder may be extra-sensitive to the effects of serotonin.
·         Fear responses: Some research suggests that a structure in the brain called the amygdala may play a role in controlling the fear response. People who have an overactive amygdala may have a heightened fear response, causing increased anxiety in social situations.

Other risk factors for the development of social anxiety include:

·         Your sex: About twice as many women as men have social anxiety disorder.

·         Family history: Some research indicates that you're more likely to develop social anxiety disorder if your biological parents or siblings have the condition.

·         Environment: Some experts theorize that social anxiety disorder is a learned behavior. That is, you may develop the condition after witnessing the anxious behavior of others. In addition, there may be an association between social anxiety disorder and parents who are more controlling or protective of their children.

·         Negative experiences: Children who experience teasing, bullying, rejection, ridicule or humiliation may be more prone to social anxiety disorder. In addition, other negative events in life, such as family conflict or sexual abuse, may be associated with social anxiety disorder.

·         Temperament: Children who are shy, timid, withdrawn or restrained when facing new situations or people may be at greater risk.

·         New social or work demands: Meeting new people, giving a speech in public or making an important work presentation may trigger social anxiety disorder symptoms for the first time. These symptoms usually have their roots in adolescence, however.

Are any members out there currently struggling with social anxiety?

Faryal - Health Educator

Reading this thread: