Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Social Anxiety - Part III

15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Miki 

You deserve those words.... big hugs... and hey again.. the hill although steep to climp has a wonderful view from the top...
DM
15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I really do pressure myself soooo much! I can't believe how much I can.... I really need to learn to just let things go.
Thanks so much for the really touching words, DazedMommy.

15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi

Thanks for sharing your stories... It's intersting how we can all be so different in our diagnosis / disorders but share so many qualities...   Such a broad spectrum with very blurry borders I would say...

I'm a very social person and do very well in situations that I'm in control of... or know that I do well at BUT take me out of that comfort zone and the anxiety inside kicks in ...  A lot like you Birdie.

When I first got anxiety when I was in college I skipped out on every oral report..... and eventually I quit school because I didn't get what was happening to me... ick...  I landed a great job and did amazing there... spent 14 years in the industry and excelled but as I said I was good at it so the anxiety was nil....

I have noticed though as I get older (I'm 35) I do tend to screen calls more often ... or want to stay home more.....  I think this is good though as I used to not like "alone" time.. and always had to have something on the go so that I was busy and not anxious.... Now I like me and think I like my own company... so I think this is more positive than negative..  I have a very close group of friends as I've learned it's not the quantity of friends I have anymore but the quality... and ALL of them know about what I battle..and all my quirks.. and still love me.. That's all I need...

Miki... As for your hubby... It must be VERY tough living apart...  I can't imagine my hubby being gone like that... so I think the anxiety you feel is perfectly normal...  Even a person not suffering from anxiety would experience some of your feelings.  Is there no way you can live together all the time?  I'm not sure the reason behind this set-up so it may not actually be feasible.. Just thought I would ask... It just might do you well to try to find a way you can be together during the week too... Being alone can be hard no matter what and as a fairy newly married couple I think it's important to be together...  So maybe a compromise.. like living half way in between where you both need to be...  I don't know..  just don't like to hear your struggling with this.

He sounds like he's been pretty understanding thus far..

Miki.. YOU WILL be able to go out again.. YOU WILL be able to work again.. and contribute BUT you need to be well and right now that's what you're working on.. Don't begrudge yourself this right... and don't feel guilty.  We married the men we love through sickness and in health... through good times and bad....  Give yourself the time to heal... and soon you'll be doing all the things you're missing...  The pressure you're putting on yourself is too much.... You're getting there Miki.. and have been such a source of comfort to me... I appreciate you.. as I'm sure he does too.. He probably just wishes he could "fix" you as men feel they need to do...

Take care.. and sorry for the VERY long ramble.... I just got lost in my thoughts...
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Miki and Birdie,

It sounds like you could both benefit from challenging your negative thoughts. 
  1. What’s the evidence that the thought is true?
  2. What’s the evidence that the thought is not true?
  3. What is the worst possible thing that could happen and how would you cope if it did happen?
  4. What’s the best possible thing that could happen?
  5. What would most likely happen and how would you cope if that happened?
  6. What’s another way of thinking about this situation? What else could be going on?
  7. What would you tell a friend of yours if they were in this situation and had the same negative thought?
  8. What’s the effect of believing the negative thought?
  9. What would happen if you didn’t believe the negative thought?
  10. What are some alternative thoughts in this situation?
Work through these questions and set up some exposure exercises to help conquer some of these challenges.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is most certainly something I struggle with!  I'm fine with a group of people if I have control over the situation but if I feel I may be asked to do something out of my comfort zone then everything changes for me.  I work and go shopping and church and those type of things where I have control of my coming and going and where I know what is expected of me but when it comes to a more intimate party or where someone will notice my discomfort I tend to avoid those invites.  I really keep people from getting to close to me as friends because I feel like I will disappoint them with my anxiety or be asked to go somewhere or do something I'm not ready to do.  That is part of my hope is to work through those situations and get beyond some of those fears. What is frustrating to me is sometimes I'm perfectly fine in a situation and then sometimes I've got myself so worked up about ,what if ?I don't give it a chance.
Birdie

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is very true! I guess I'm getting the social anxiety because of my GAD. I don't want to deal with explaining what I have, and I don't want to go through it especially if the other person doesn't understand. I worry about getting a panic attack or not being my best self at whatever I do, I can't have fun... and if it's just me it's ok, but if I have someone else there with me, the pressure is sooo much more. I can't deal with the fact that the other person can't deal with it.

Lately I'm getting more and more paranoid of my husband leaving me because of this. I get so jealous because we live separately (2 hours away) and all I do everyday is stay in my room, go on the internet or study, or just sit there. (He comes home on the weekends.) He works a full time job and after that he goes out. I feel guilty that I can't play my part... even contribute with some income.. and I feel mad that he can go out and have fun without me. I'm afraid that I'll never be able to step outside... I probably can if someone is home, but I am alone until my family comes home from work. I can't imagine working ever again. I can't imagine going out without my husband or family ever again. 

15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

Over the past few days we’ve lightly touched on a variety of issues that often affect relationships. Today we will discuss one more…

Due to the physical & psychological symptoms in addition to negative thoughts that can quickly invade, individuals with anxiety or depression often withdraw from others. As a result, these same individuals may feel uncomfortable in social situations. As this anxiety around social situations grows, the individual can develop what is called social anxiety disorder.

Are any members currently struggling with this issue? Let it off your chest, tell us about it!

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: