Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Job Interview

11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's a good starting point.

Maybe to get the ball rolling I will give you my perspective. I conduct job interviews occasionally and I don't really like doing it. I hate making other people feel uncomfortable; it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. And let me tell you EVERYONE is at least a little uncomfortable doing a job interview. For me, the more real people appear to be the more I gravitate towards them. I don't mind when people seem overly nervous either as it shows me they care about the position they applied for.  To me, an interview is just two human beings discussing working together and how they both can help each other. You say what you have to offer and vise versa. Just be yourself and if you are a good fit great! If not, that's ok too.

Anything come up for you as you read that?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I honestly can't think of one good thing about an interview. I suppose it would give us a chance to interview them as potential employers. My husband deals with interviews in this way. 

Sunflower
Hi Sunflower Painter,

Job interviews are tough and feeling judged is no fun either. I once had a friend who said they loved interviews because all you had to do was talk about yourself . Maybe that might not work for everyone but what is another perspective you could take on job interviews that might make them a little easier or even enjoyable?

Ashley, Health Educator
I am sort of a perfectionist but I am also terrified of criticism. I hate being judged etc because I already have low enough self esteem.

Today work was ok, I consoled myself by telling myself that I would resign on Monday. I doubt I will. I haven't heard anything back from my job interview, it is early days still.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Sunflower
Great job Sunflower Painter!

How did it feel to "just do it"? 
Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunflower,
Every job has pros and cons, and everything looks better from the other side of the fence, as the saying goes.  Could it  be that there's a bit of perfectionism which creeps in, to allow you to just accept work life, so you can enjoy the rest of your life?
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunflower,

You can do it!  You've already worked part time successfully.  Everyone, including people without panic and anxiety, feel anxious about doing something new (they just use the word excited instead of anxious).  It's like when you went to school, after two weeks, everything is familiar and you can adjust.  Some times just taking it one day at a time, or one moment at a time, is less overwhelming than thinking about the big picture.  My Mom is a huge worrier and I learned that behavior from her, so I understand the worry part.  A lot of what we worry about never happens.  I believe in you.  It's funny how it's easier to believe in someone else rather than in yourself.  Be kind to yourself and trust that you can handle it.  I'm so proud of you.  Focus on your successes and downplay any negative.  Over time, you'll retrain your brain to look at all of the good things that happened instead of the bad.  I used to let a wonderful day get ruined by one thing that went wrong and focused on the latter.  It just takes practice to focus on the good.  We all support you!  You're doing great!

Shari
Today was a hard one at work. I had a lot of success with the job interview but I am now worried I won't be able to cope with a new job.

Worry worry worry.
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunflower this is huge...Big Congrats are on order! and a Big reward too..

Red....
I actually made it to a job interview today. Things went well, I was a little shaky but all in all it was ok. I rescheduled my other interview for friday, 2 in one day was too much.

I knew I had to do it so I did. I knew it would help me to build up confidence.

Sunflower

Reading this thread: