Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

Self Hate

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunflower,

I'm really sorry to hear you feel this way.  Have you sought any help in the past?  Anything that you have found helpful like speaking with a therapist (someone you can trust)?

We also have a great sister site called - the Depression Center- that has a similar program and wonderful online community.  The program offers guidance into understanding negative thoughts and teaches you skills on how to change your negative thoughts.  It's about changing your perspective on how you view yourself.  It incorporates Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.  Several members have found it to be incredibly helpful.  If you put the work into it, you will start to notice changes within yourself. 

I'm glad that you have your daughter to bring you some sunshine in your life!  Be gentle on yourself throughout this process.  Let us know how you're doing - we're here for you!
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I tend towards perfectionism which I recognize as being unrealistic. I also crave recognition and acceptance. I also have a lot of self dislike. I also feel as though I am not gifted in any way and am not good at much of anything other than cleaning.

I was wondering what I could do about this? I punish myself and doubt myself so often.

I was listening to a talk by Tara Brach and she mentioned that the Dalai Lama had never heard of self hatred. He was puzzled. He couldn't imagine not loving yourself. 

How can I break this cycle? I feel most of the time like I am never good enough, I will always fail and that I am a loser. I don't have many friends and my relationship with my family members is horrible. I don't trust any of my family members. I feel very alone. Sadly only my 10 year old daughter makes me feel good. Not even my husband makes me feel good. 

I do accept though that I am responsible for my own being so maybe it will never matter how much people love me I will always feel like I don't measure up.

Not sure what to do as I am realizing that my depression, anxiety and panic issues stem from my lack of self esteem. What steps can I take?

Reading this thread: