Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Confusion on terminology and long term affect

13 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

That's a very good trait to have!
Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm a pretty determined tryer. 
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m

Yes you do have panic attacks but if those are the only symptoms then they are mild compared to what they could be. They can be very disabling. For this you should be thankful and lets work on getting them even less before they can get worse. You mentioned drink. Alcohol is a depressant but it also fogs the mind enough to keep panic at bay. But in the end it is still there and has to be dealt with, and you are the one that has to make that decision and we can and will stand buy you and be here for you, and we will not criticize. Comment yes but not criticize. We know how hard this is. This is why we are so successful. Besides the program working we as a group are here for each other no matter what. We cry together and celebrate together, we are here for you. If you fall we pick you up. You can lean on us. We only ask one thing and that is that you try, at your own pace but try.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Freezing with tunnel vision is considered a panic attack?  I never knew that.  I think I don't have panic attacks because of the lack of external physical symptoms.  I freeze and am freaking out inside but from the outside it just looks like I'm being very still... except I'm not doing it on purpose and I can't unfreeze until things calm down inside.  So I DO have panic attacks?
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dawuad

Good question. The way I separate them is that anxiety is more thought than sensation. For me anxiety would be the thought that I was uncomfortable, maybe sweaty hands and the feeling I would like to be some where else, panic would be a heightened awareness of this uncomfortable feeling and looking for an escape. A panic attack is when I have all the symptoms and have to do something about it, get out, get up and pace. (mild still) working up to total incapacity, including looking for a toilet and alternately sweating and freezing with tunnel vision, weak legs and the inability to concentrate or make rational decisions. As you can see panic attacks can have different degrees. A life time of anxiety with some panic is probably normal for some people and some of these I know treat it with medication. A lifetime of panic attacks, I do not know. I had them for over two years, every day and nearly did not survive.
This is how I define it, it may or may not be right.

Here for you 
Davit.
Hi Dawuad,

Anxiety lasts longer then an attack and is less severe.  An attack is intense but only occurs for a shirt period of time (20 minutes).   For anxiety and for panic attacks symptoms can vary between each individual and each individual episode.  Some people experience more physical symptoms others more mental, it depends on the individual. 

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Ashley for your quick response.  I did check the glossary and have seen that before but this is what is confusing to me.  It seems that they are the same according to the glossary but why two different terms for it?  There also seems to be two different ways of feeling this fear (one that is this intense physical feeling and one that feels like one that you are in a scary movie but it does not have any physical sensations).  Just curious but I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter - just when I reference something I do not want to exaggerate or make it seem less intense then it is.
Hi Dawuad,

Check out the program glossary to read the difference between anxiety, panic attack and panic disorder. 

In regards to having these attacks forever, it is really hard for me to give you a definite answer.  Individuals who are prone to anxiety may manage symptoms for a lifetime but this management would begin to become habitual.  With more practise it would become second nature to manage the anxiety.  I would guess if you have seen improvement in a short time and you continue to work on managing and improving the anxiety, you would continue to see improvements.  Have you talked to a doctor or pharmacist about this question.  Members, what are your thoughts?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This may sound silly on my part but I have a very simple questions to ask:

Is there a difference between anxiety and panic attack?  Whatever they are - there is a difference in the way I feel when I am having a full blown attack which make me have heart palpitations, etc.  But then at times I seem to get this intense feeling of fear but no physical sensations, only thoughts.  Just wondering.  

I used to have 'panic' attacks (again not sure if it is the right term) - but it would scare me and I would be really confused and did not know what was causing this attack.  Now fortunately through this program I rarely have these attacks and when I do I am not too concerned or care about them.  I do however have times when I get this intense fear but again am not too bothered by them.  I think I know the answer to this question, but anyways - is it OK to have such attacks, say forever?  It doesn't bother me as much - but was wondering if I have these forever - what would happen?  I know that it is NOT normal to have these attacks, but I just don't seem to care anymore and I would hate for it to have some long term affect on me. 

Reading this thread: