Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Flooding

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cm,   Here is some information to consider for desensitization. Please let us know if you find this helpful! The program advises to keep the following points in mind when it comes to planning your exposure work:

1. Learning occurs at moderate levels of anxiety and arousal. In planning your exposure work don’t make it too easy or too hard. If you pick something that doesn’t cause you any anxiety (a fear rating of 1 or 2) you won’t experience a drop in your fear rating because there's really nowhere to go. As a result, you won't unlearn anything. On the other hand, if you pick something that causes a fear rating of a 9 or 10, it may be too difficult. Try to stay in the 3-8 range.

2. Exposure should be predictable. Plan your exposure work in advance and stick to the plan. Unplanned exposure doesn’t work well. Planning your exposure makes it a bit more controllable and a little less frightening.

3. Set a goal for the exposure that you can reach. Set a goal for the exposure session. You may want to stay in the situation for at least a certain amount of time (say 30 minutes) or experience a certain decrease in you fear rating (say go from a 7 to a 5). Setting a reachable goal will give you something to aim for. Achieving your goals step-by-step will allow you to feel good about what you're accomplishing.

4. Stay in the situation until your fear goes down. This can happen in two ways. First, if you pick a situation for an exposure that causes you a fear rating of a 4 to 8, then after an hour you should be experiencing a drop in your fear rating. If not, maybe it was harder than you thought. However, there’s another way to experience a decrease in fear, which is to repeat the exposure again and again. So for example, if your anxiety doesn't come down from an 8 in the first hour, try it again the next day. Eventually, if you repeat the experiment every day, it will start to drop.

5. If something is too hard, pick something just a little bit easier. If you end up having a fear rating of 9 or 10 try to figure out what you could do that would be almost the same but would result in a fear rating of 7 or 8.

For tomorrow, keep in mind that you have already succeeded.  Let the previous successes give you the strength to take on these future challenges.

Many here share your same driving concerns. You may want to use the site's search feature to view previous members’ experiences and discussions on this topic.     Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey CM,

So If I understand correctly, your phobia is staying indoors at night, you need to be able to go out for a walk everynight, is this correct? I am just trying to clarify so that I can be more helpful. Why is it scary to you to stay indoors, do you know or is it vague for you? What specifically scares you?

If I understand correctly, last year you got over your fear by immersing yourself totally in what scared you until you got over it. So if you were afraid to stay indoors at night, you made yourself stay indoors every night no matter how horrible it felt until you were able to stay indoors. Is that what you mean by flooding? If not, what do you mean by flooding?

Anyway, sorry to offer questions instead of answers. I am just trying to understand better so I can see if I have advice to offer!

Hang in there!
15 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CM,

I'm not a moderator, but how are you approaching it now? Is someone staying with you so you have that safe person, but too much reliance on this person? Or the mere thought of being alone when the sun starts to set, triggering the anxiety alone?

15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya:

One of my biggest phobias that I overcame last year was that I had to get out every night for a walk.  It has reared   it's ugly head again & I found out why.  When I was attending my GP/Psychotherapist last year for treatment of my PA Disorder, I told him exactly how I was desensitizing myself, I have since found out what he should have told me back then that the method I was using was called "flooding".  I had no idea that using this method could re-sensitize me but he should have.  He never said a thing to me & now once again I have to overcome this phobia.

Do any of the moderators have a plan where I could gradually desensitize myself so that I can eventually be able to stay in at night without having a full blown pa?

Reading this thread: