Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

When Mindfulness Can Be Bad for You

3 years ago (Edited 3 years ago) 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1

Hi everyone,

I read an article from Psychology Today (see link below) about mindfulness and I thought I would share. I am a huge proponent of mindfulness and I, myself did not realise that if done incorrectly it can be harmful. The main elements of mindfulness are awareness and acceptance. If you are aware of your emotions but you are not accepting them, then you you can be causing more stress. The article states, "Studies have also shown that mindfulness can be associated with other negative outcomes such as reduced motivation, compromised implicit learning, and less willingness to accept responsibility for fixing wrongdoings". This article points to the importance of using mindfulness correctly in order to reap the benefits of it.

It is also important to remember that just because something may cause negative effects, if done incorrectly, it does not mean you should give up on it entirely. For example, if you work out with incorrect form you may injure yourself. This does not mean you should not work out at all.

I found the read interesting and informative. Have a look for yourself: https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/dont-forget-the-basil/202005/when-mindfulness-can-be-bad-you

What are your experienced with mindfulness. Have you experienced any positive or negative effects.

Thanks for reading!

Ashley

Reading this thread: