Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,602 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MRITCHEL AMBRIE, DMARY CHRISTINE, DILOIZA MARHYZ, AFRANCESCA, SERI

New to site - work related anxiety

14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Michael. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here.  You're blessed to have a supportive partner in your life. Cheers, Don
14 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks you all for the feedback. 

Sunny - I agree wholeheartedly with you....anticipatory anxiety, or the worry about things that may or may not ever happen, is the absolute worst for me.  I say that because I refuse to take a pill to deal with it most of the time.  I feel less concerned about taking a pill to deal with the actual situation.  Its funny, my mind gets rolling and I'll actually start thinking about something that could happen someday - even something years down the road. 

Don - your post spoke volumes to me.  Thank you.  It sounds as if I actually wrote it.  You work someplace for a long time, perform above everyone else, and then get repeatedly promoted to the point where mistakes aren't tolerated.  I know that I am an excellent employee.....I just worry that others will begin to see some of those "cracks in my plaster" that I see everyday.  You get to the point where you also have "golden handcuffs" - you make such good money, you have a nice 401K match, and you have a fat pension waiting in 20 years if you can just tough it out.  If I had it to do all over again, I would not work for a large company (you'd recognize the name if I told you).  I have friends that work at smaller organizations where board meetings are collegial and informational.  I was told the other day that having a conversation with the president of our organization was considered "high stakes".  How ridiculous.  The good thing is that I am positioning myslelf financial to leave if I ever want to....paying off the house quickly, living way below my means, and saving money.   I also have a wonderful partner who supports me in this struggle.  So bottom line, I may someday take your advice.

To the Mods- thanks for the encouragement.  I have been very pleasantly surprised about the wealth of information here.  I plan to study it very seriously.

Good day to all.
Michael
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Andy84,

Welcome to our online support community! Work through the online program, read and re-read old posts and of course post here as much as you need to. We are all here to support each other and lend a helping hand. Get started, and check in soon to let us know how you are doing.

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey,

Just found this website - it looks amazing! I can't wait to get going with it. I've had anxiety for around 6 years now. Though it comes and goes I feel like it's always lurking there in the background. Hopefully it might be a thing of the past soon enough!
14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Michael,
This post is probably not what you want to read, as it kind of goes against some of the things I learned here which is alot and I am so thankful for it. I too worked for an organization for about 20 years, working very hard and continually progressing and being promoted, making more money, and given increasingly complex files that required near perfection on my part as my work might ultimately be challenged in court. (Actually it was and even the judges were impressed...) But you know what? I wasn't happy at all. I hated work because the harder I worked, the more responsibility, headaches & stress would inevitably wind up in my inbox because I was the "go to" guy. It seemed the higher I climbed in this large organization, the lonelier and stressed out people became and their personal lives were terrible as they neglected the truly important things in life. I wasn't happy at all even though I was making the most money I ever did.  Now, I make a lot less money, am way happier, and enjoy work and life again. There is a high personal price to pay when you find yourself in a perfectionist, dog-eat-dog corporate environment. I just encourage you to ask yourself from time to time if it's really worth it.  If not, and you can, keep your eyes open for a position that you would really enjoy, using the many skills you obviously have. "Success" is not just about how large your paycheck is, or the coveted title on your business card. I encourage you to keep your "very fulfilling personal life" intact (or make it even better!), and never compromise it for a few more bucks on the paycheck. Sorry for the long winded response. Cheers, Don
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Michael:  Yes, I sure can relate.  I do volunteer work but need to do little speeches, talks every so often.  I dislike public speaking too.  Luckily, I'm not expected to be perfect. phew! What I have done in the past is visualize before bedtime, sometimes in bed, about 2-3 nights before the talk, myself speaking in front of the people, location,  and what I feel, which is calm, of course.  I rarely can go through the whole talk in my head at this point.  I rehearse the talk during the day - but only 2-3 times, otherwise it would drive me crazy.  I also tell myself that if I make a mistake - and I have made not so much mistakes as omitting things I had intended to say.  But no one knows what I had prepared, no one knows the omissions, so it's o.k.   Not meaning statistical type data here, that needs to be accurate.  If you have to do statistics, charts are a big help.   Then I try to remember that the speech is not about me, it's about information for them, and they couldn't care less about me, just the message.  Hope this helps a bit.

I have anticipatory anxiety so I am much better at giving impromptu speeches.  Then I don't feel as nervous, just do it.  It's the anticipation, the time waiting until it's time to get up.  Another thing I tell myself, "who's going to remember this in a l00 yrs. anyway.  better yet, in a couple of wks."
14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Micheal,

Welcome to the group! Begin by working through the program.  You will find that it does help.  Also, post and read often.

It worrys me that you feel absolute perfection is expected at work.  That would stress anyone!  Is there a possibility to discuss work culture with your bosses?

I have a few questions that I think would help if you answer.

What makes now different then before (10 years later)? 

How does it feel being a person who is hard working and continually having to strive for perfection?

Please try to think about these answers and we will go from there.  We can get through this together!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hello - I've suffered with periodic bouts of anxiety that is completely work-related.  I have a very fulfilling personal life, but I get so anxious about certain situations - particularly giving presentations, making speeches, and meeting with executives that have expectations for absolute perfection (really).  I wasn't like this in college, but the longer I work there (10 years +) the more fearful I've become.  I tend to worry about work alot and "what if" my day away until I really scare myself.  I take Lexapro and it seems to help, but I am still able to work myself up into pre-panic.  I have klonopin that I take "as needed" which means rarely, but I've had the same script for a couple years so I don't take it much.  I see a phsyciatrist once a month or so for the past four years, but I don't understand why it hasn't stuck.  I read lots about anxiety and know all about the causes and what I need to do to try and prevent it (mistaken beliefs, negative self talk) but its hard to walk the talk.  I've recently started meditating, and really like it.  Nevertheless, I've just come off 3 days of constant worry and I'm exhausted.  Can anyone relate to work related anxiety?  I am most interested in success stories - not scare stories.  Thanks.  Peace to all.

Reading this thread: