Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

It gets better

15 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you Houston!  You should be very proud of yourself!  I hope you gave yourself a good reward after that.

Thanks for sharing.

Ashley, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you, Faryal.

The trade show started off kind of rough since I had not yet had breakfast.  I started feeling faint, and it really hit me when I was speaking to somebody.  I had to sit down.  I ate breakfast shortly thereafter and took my vitamins.  That made me feel better.  I continued with my booth despite the feeling of faintness.  By the end of the day, the panic was gone, and I even forgot about the moning dizziness.

I actually felt "normal" and like myself again.  The drive home was also pretty pleasant. 

During the trade show, there were times when I wanted to abandon my botth and drive home.  I'm glad that I stuck it out since I would've felt down on myself if I had given in to the fear. 

I would encourage everyone to challenge your fears and do the CBT work.  It's scary, but it works.  Thank you very much for your encouragement.
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go Houston!

Take it one hour or one day at a time tonight and tomorrow during the show!

Keep yourself well hydrated and keep us posted on how things go.

Faryal, Health Educator
It's 10:16 pm and I am alone in a hotel room for the first time in months.  That is a milestone.  The 2 1/2 hour drive by myself was pretty rough since my anxiety was causing sensitivity to light.  Also, I was feeling faint as I got further away from home. 

Once I got here, I almost canceled my appointment so that I could go to the hotel an regroup.  I'm glad that I went to my appointment.  I would've felt down on mself if I had succumber to the fear.  After the appointment, I went to my hotel and even walked a block away to get something to eat.  Normally, this would be difficult when I'm feling faint.

So far so good.  I hope that I have a good night and that I am able to have a good trade show tomorrow since I will be around a lot of people.
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Houston,

Welcome and we thank you for sharing your story with us.  The members do know where you are coming from and can lend support, advice and knowledge.  Do continue on with the program and yes use the exposure therapy to help you progress and reach your goals.  Take the anxiety test and bring a copy to your doctor.  This can help assess the situation better.

Post often with questions, support and concerns, as we are always here to help.

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Houston,

I totally know how you feel about the feeling of passing out! I get that all the time! My main symptom of my anxiety is the feeling of lightheadedness and the feeling of blacking out. It is weird because I feel like my vision is changing and that is when I start to feel faint. I get really freaked out about losing my sight or passing out. I find that it comes out of no where too and this specific feeling causes me to have anxiety and sometimes full out panic attacks. There have been a few posts about lightheadedness and how to overcome that but I find that this feeling is different it isn't just the feeling of being unsteady but feeling like you are going blackout. Like I mentioned I feel like my vision is changing and that everything is going to go black. I also get the feeling that the ground is almost spongy (for lack of a better word) like the ground isn't going to support me and my legs get all wobbly. I have not yet discovered how to get rid of this very scary feeling and am very interested in hearing others comments.
This is my first posting for myself.

I began having panic attacks around the holidays.  They were mild with my only symptom being a feeling of faintness.  Then, on Christmas Eve, I went out for a run and felt like I was going to pass out.  I could not shake the feeling and walked back home (actually the condo where we were staying) after a few attempts to go on with my run.  I didn't tell my family for fear of alarming them.  We were up in the mountains, and I assumed that it had to do with the altitude. 

For the next few days, I could not shake the feeling that I was going to pass out.  Still out-of-town for the holidays, I eventually had my wife and sister drive me to the emergency room.  There, they checked my blood pressure which was very high and gave me an EKG and CAT scan for my head.  They came back normal, so they gave me some Atavan.  Once the tranquilizer took effect, they took my blood pressure again, and it was normal.  For the next couple of days, I was worried but ok.  Then it was time to come home.

On the flight, I felt a little strange but concentrated on closing my eyes and listening to my iPod.  When we got home, I took a nap, and when I awoke, I had the worst panic attack.  I felt nervous, my mind was racing with thousands of thoughts (like slides being projected on a screen in rapid progression), I thought that I was going insane, and my heart was palpitating.  The next day, I went to my doctor who told me that it was probably panic but that I could have a "bad heart" because my cholesterol had been high, and I had not taken meds for it.  He gave me a referral to a cardiologist and some Clonazepam.  Incidentally, I have never taken any of the Clonazepam because I was afraid of the side effects and of becoming addicted.

Anyway, for the next few weeks, I waited to see the cardiologist, get a series of tests, etc.  It was during this time that I quickly became agoraphobic.  The doctor's words about possibly having a bad heart haunted me.  I did not go to work, gorcery store, restaurants, friends' houses, stopped driving, and even needed my wife to stay home with me.  I was even afraid to have sex. 

I read and bought some stuff on the internet and learned about anxiety/panic and that I did not need to fear the symptoms.  I forced myself to go back to work because I did not want to lose my job.  At the time, I didn't know that I was doing exposure work.  Step by scary step, I began reclaiming my life...going to work, client meetings, driving, restaurants, etc.  I can now function in these settings with little fear or where I continue with my tasks so that the fear is of no consequence.  At first, it was incredibly scary going back to these settings and even left a few meetings early because I felt like I was going to pass out.

Going back to the medical tests, the cardiologist cleared me after expensive tests. However, I started hyperventilating during a stress test (my hear rate was normal), so he referred me to a pulmonologist.  Since then, he has cleared me too (except for the possibility of exercise-induced asthma which has not surfaced).  So, basically, I am physically healthy but suffer from anxiety. 

My life is largely back to normal at work.  However, I still avoid exercise.  This has been very tough for me because I enjoy(ed) training for and running marathons, triathlons, and long bike rides.  Now, I have to force myself to try a 2 mile run, and I am exhausted afterward.  I have created and recently started an exposure plan for exercise.  It is very hard to see my friends continue with their athletic goals and to be sidelined by my own fear.  My avoidance occurs largely from my fear of passing out, or of being too tired to do anything afterwards (this is why I don'e exercise in the mornings before work).

I also begin to feel faint in large crowds or if it is hot outside.  This has me a bit worried since I booked a trip to Disneyworld for my family in June.  It is not fair to them that my condition should keep them from having fun.  Nonetheless, I am dreading this trip but will force myself to do it.  I would appreciate any tips that any of you may have.

If I can offer any tips, it's to stick with it despite the setbacks.  I've gome from severe agoraphobia to being back at work, driving, shopping, going to the mall, enjoying marital relations, and overall being more optimistic without any meds (unless you count multi-vitamins and magnesium).  Exposure works and seems to be the only thing that does.  The hardest part is starting out.

Anyway, my goal is to go back to running marathons and doing triathlons.  Tomorrow, I will have another milestone since developing anxiety:  my first business trip away from home alone.

Reading this thread: