Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Overwhlemed

8 years ago 0 111 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I make lists, I get anxious. The more the list grows the more anxious I get. But I do understand the idea of breaking big goals into small ones. 
8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Catherine,

There certainly is a lot on your plate. The first step would be to make a list of everything you need to do. Be sure to break large tasks into smaller tasks. For example, instead of writing clean the house, write: clean the cupboards in the kitchen, clean the floors in the kitchen, clean the counters in the kitchen, clean out the fridge, etc. Or edit resume, search for jobs for 30 minutes, write cover letter for one job, etc. Once you have your exhaustive list written out then rate the priority of each task and difficulty of each task. Try to complete the priority tasks first and try to schedule pershaps one difficult tasks and a few easy tasks each day. Reward yourself for completing what you plan. The extra time you spend planning this out will help you to control the anxiety and be motivated to complete the tasks. Keep us updated on your progress.
Ashley, Health Educator
Thank you very much to both of you for being so kind as to reply to me. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the support!
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Catherine.

I'm in a similar boat with the exception that my anxiety is still in check and I didn't lose as much time as you. I've always been one step ahead of the wolf and this year that wasn't enough. I've lost one flower bed to weeds, the bulbs will probably survive. Every year it gets drier and this year my pond dried up too soon. This is the pond I pump water out of for the sprinklers. So the garden is a write off. Two weeks in hospital didn't help. No one watered. They barely watered the flower beds. I've tried sharing space so there would be someone living here when I'm sick. It hasn't worked. Being on pension doesn't leave enough money to hire anyone. I prefer to be outside so you can imagine what my house looks like. I will be getting home support though so that will help.
My biggest problem is not that I can't live like this but that I don't want to. 
One day at a time.

You are not alone, but that doesn't do the work or pay the bills.

Davit
8 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Catherine, In terms of being overwhelmed, there's a subjective and a realistic component. Somebody describing the feeling as being like a cup of tea, which keeps gets poured until it is overflowing, but continues to pour, causing that feeling. What I ask myself is what can I control, to minimize that stressful flow of tea, so I don't feel awash with stress? You certainly can't dismiss the cries of a child, and bills, but perhaps some things can be postponed. I have to clean too, and feel disappointed with myself about missing this, but there are other priorities. If I can be easier on myself, the stress can be reduced to a trickle, or something I can manage, using whatever resources make sense to use...From here we can just pray for you...
I was hospitalized for depression for 2 months. Then I came home and I had the kiddo with me at home for two weeks. Then me and the kiddo went to another city to see my mom for two weeks. 

While I was gone or busy,nothing got done beyond the very basics. 

To add to the problem, the house was in need of organization and a spring cleaning quite badly even before I left for the hospital.

So now the house needs to be reorganized top to bottom, cleaned and washed from top to bottom. On top of it my flowerbeds are a mess, the weeds are everywhere and the good plants are dying out, even the perennials…

I am here alone, dealing with my anxiety and lack of energy and I have so much on my plate! I don't think I can do it all on my own but  I have nobody to help me.

On top of it, I need to start looking for jobs. We are in trouble financially so we need the second income…

I am totally overwhelmed, I just want to cry my eyes out...

Reading this thread: