Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Scared

10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Chuckiedo,

Were you able to get some sleep? How are you feeling? 

The section on  relaxation  techniques and worry might be good sessions for you to look at first. They have some quick strategies to help with  anxiety.
Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Clinical depression means you have a deficiency. Not a lot different than My Arthritis, My adrenal cortex doesn't produce enough cortisol so I have to replace it. Difference is yours will be temporary. CBT can't replace the Seratonin but it can reduce the need for it. Seratonin is needed for efficient thought. Efficient thought in the form of positive though verses wasted negative thought reduces the need. But it is so hard to think positive when it feels like your world is collapsing. 
Mostly because survival thoughts and skills are all negative.
Acceptance plays a big role too. 
You sound so much better.

Davit
10 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very kind of you to say so Davit. About 10 years ago I was getting panic attacks but didn't take any meds until I had a really bad day and dr said I was clinically depressed. I am trying to take meds earlier to avoid hitting that crisis point again. I guess I just need to take each day as it comes. 
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Chuckiedo

Usually a short course of tranquilizer is given for the first two weeks to take care of this. 
I use a gram of calcium and a couple of cups of Ginger Mint tea to sleep. Lemon Balm tea when the Ginger Mint isn't strong enough. Valerian root works but is expensive. 
You are probably aware that the first two weeks are the worst. So it takes quite an effort to stay positive and to think positive. You know it worked before so it will work again. Survival skills are all negative so you are going to have negative thought only because the reaction to the meds is foreign. You also know this is normal. Time for a positive mantra to counter these thoughts, Time to challenge them and think some positives. Positives are: This will work, this will make me better, I am strong, I can do this. Others have done it with success. It is temporary, it is temporary it is temporary I will be better. Treat the negatives with contempt. They are whiney little dogs that need to be put in there place, get mad even. Think of your pillow as one of these negatives and beat hell out of it. ( a silent form of the primal scream) Some of these are distractions, You can probably think of others. Distractions that require movement and speech work better. You only have to get through the next few days, and we are here to support you. I've been there and done it too. I know what it feels like. But more important is that I have faith in you, I know you can do it.

Here for you.
Davit
10 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've survived the day at work but now I am home I feel very nervous and out of it. It is only my 2nd day on citalopram but I just wonder how I going to cope the next few weeks while the meds settle down. I'm scared of meds even though I've taken them before. I have managed to eat my dinner but not looking forward to tonight. I'm worried I won't sleep. 

Reading this thread: