Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

Confidence

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunflower,
Shari's quote from Dr Phil is great!  In most social situations,  time just flies away.  In a class, the first half an hour can be just administrative.  The last half an hour is usually unnoticed, since students are so ingrossed in their work.  There's usually a break, and that gives everybody a breather, and it's usually longer than expected, which is welcome to everybody(courtesy of the smokers in the class, and distance to bathrooms & lineups...).

What's left is focusing on actual "content", not what I often fear, which is me.  I suppose I'm not at the centre of the universe
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yea!  Sunflower - you did great!  Wow - that was impressive to be at the computer for all that time.  You will continue to do well; I have no doubts about that.  The more you use the cash register, the more comfortable you will feel :)  Just be your sweet self and you can't go wrong.  As far as blushing goes, I can identify.  But, to be honest, people are thinking about their flower purchase and won't even notice if you do :)  Dr. Phil had a quote that stuck with me, so I'll pass it along to everyone, "You wouldn't worry so much about what people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did." :)  I remember feeling self conscious and embarrassed about my "Poodle" bangs in high humidity.  What I've discovered is no one really noticed or cared or paid attention.  So, I think I made a bigger deal out of it, in my head, whereas no one else really notices it or cares, because they are wrapped up in their own lives and themselves.  So, if others don't pay attention to those things, I think I won't anymore.  And, if I don't worry about it anymore, problem solved :) What matters is who you are on the inside, nothing else :)  

Shari :)
11 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari, you make me smile :)

I survived. I sat and did computer training for about 4 and a half hours. I survived....so far :)

Now I go on Monday for more computer training and then I learn how to do cash register on tuesday and thursday. That is the part that scares me, the cash register part. I hope I remember what to say and do. I also hope I don't blush too much, though I am sure I will since it is so new and all that.

Thank you so much for the support, I really appreciate it.

Sunflower
Apparently, I had an outdated Webster's Dictionary book from when I was back in college 30 years ago.  I have a New Oxford American Dictionary on my Kindle reading device and it had the Cern definition.  So, after a super long delayed reaction - ha ha - that was a good one :)

Shari
Yea!  Way to turn your thoughts around :)  I've jumped into exposure before when I should have done it slower, but it turned out fine.  BTW (by the way) what's a Cern?  It's not in the American Dictionary :)  

Shari
I start at 11 am. I am trying to focus on changing my thought like Shari suggested. "My mantra today is that it is Safeway not the Cern." This is not theoretical physics lol.

I am going to take everything step by step. I will ask questions. I will do the best I can do. I am doing the computer training today so I am not facing the public or anything, just training at a computer. The woman who gave me the job is so nice too so I am sure I am not facing harsh criticism. I am always afraid of getting into trouble or facing confrontations. I need to be confident. I can do this. I can do this :)

Again, if only we could fast forward these situations. I will come on later on today after it is all over. Fingers crossed everything will be fine.

Sunflower
PS- Now I wish I had planned this better, I wish that I developed my confidence by slow exposure. Oh well, typical me to jump in head first lol.
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunflower,

Thinking of you today and hoping everything is going well and much better than anticipated.  
Shari posed some really good questions to you.  I look forward to hearing about how your day went and your reflection on Shari's supportive advice.

Vincenza, Health Educator
Sunflower, 

On your "Interviews" thread, you had peace and confidence and you were happy about your new job.  What were you thinking about then, that gave you those feelings, and how can you get back to those positive thoughts when the negative thoughts try to sabotage you? 

Shari
Hi Sunflower,

Can you address each negative thought with a positive one:  I am confident.  I am not afraid.  I can handle it.  I am able to learn it.  They have not over estimated my qualifications.  I am good enough.  I will make out okay.  The first two weeks of any job is a honeymoon period.  Everybody makes mistakes, and that's all they are, mistakes.  No one is going to fault you for them, you just learn from them, let them go, and keep going.  I'm sure the Manager makes mistakes and co workers also make mistakes.  Everyone does, because we're all human and can't be perfect.  What helped me was writing all of the positive statements on a paper and every time I was afraid, I read them out loud to myself until it sank in and the fear went away and it really worked.  You can do it Sunflower, I wish I could make you believe it, but only you can do that :)  

Your Friend, Shari
At times like this I wish confidence came in pill form. I start my new job tomorrow and I am scared. I am afraid I won't be able to handle it, I am afraid I will be unable to learn and I am afraid that they have over-estimated my qualifications.

I afraid of not being good enough. I realize that this is my first day and I am putting so much pressure on myself. I just wish I could fast forward until tomorrow at 5pm when I get to go with my family to the Santa Claus parade :)

I suppose I could just focus on the parade but of course not ignore my work, just not focus so much on it?

I am hoping I make out ok and I hope you are all doing well too.

Sunflower

Reading this thread: