Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Isolation and Side Effects

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
NC,
It's okay to resume an old thread

Threads are like conversations, which people start and resume all the time, but using a computer or wireless device is just more accessible for some of us

You, and each person, whether they post or not, are an asset to our lonely journey to the uncertain future, so let's hold hands and skip there
12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ncladyfromva,

I'm so sorry to hear your anxiety has returned and that you had some tough times with friends in the recent past. This must have been a very challenging time for you. It's good to hear, however, that you're focusing on the positive things in life like the co-workers you are close to as well as the support on the forums.  Indeed you are right that this is a place without judgment. We are here for you!

Would you consider writing in a journal to help curb the anxiety? Many members report that logging daily thoughts and feelings helps with anxiety as well as goal setting. In the meantime, please feel free to post often and share your thoughts and feelings with us! 

Sonia
12 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I realize this is an old post but it's something I can relate to so well.  My circumstances of being abandoned from my friends had nothing to do with my anxiety as that just came back 3 months ago after being kept under fairly good control for 20 years.  It was an injury of herniating a disc almost a year ago, reherniating 3 months later, then needing surgery where I just didn't respond well to it that led to people distancing themselves from me.  I have a feeling I do have some nerve damage but have not been able to get to a doctor for the test to find out for sure.  It was during this process of being in too much pain to get out or drive my car when my friends started disappearing, not calling, making promises to come see me yet no phone call to even check on me or drop by.  One of them is actually the executor of my will.  Looks like since my son has finally started getting his life together, I will need to make a trip to my atty. to revise my will and make him executor.  I've went on multiple trips with these friends through my timeshares and now that I'm not physically able to do any trips they are nowhere to be found.  I've went through all of the emotions with this and now that my anxiety has returned, I have found that I just need to let all the thoughts/emotions go as the hurt for what they've done to me just makes the anxiety worse.  These sadly were people I met at my old church and only one of them still stays in touch.  Guess she is the true example of a true christian.

I had a bout of anger today all because of something my roommate said to me because my ex-husband sent me flowers when I have no desire, nor ever will, to get back with him.  We've been divorced for almost 24 years now and have a 24 year old son so I try to stay in touch about our son and we have both given support to each other through tough times but that's where I draw the line.  He, on the other hand, has never given up hope after all the years of still trying to weasel in my life.  My roommate told me of course he's going to send me flowers so long as I keep talking to him.  I then just exploded with all of the anger of being abandoned by my church friends to her saying at least I had someone to talk to since nobody seems to care enough to be in my life anymore.  I never meant to yell at her, remorsely told her I was sorry and hugged her.  Told her I wasn't mad at her but at all those who walked out of my life.  I'm not a loner and never have been so I love being around people.  I don't do well with isolation as my roommate has chosen with her disability.  She is at least able to get out more than I can but chooses not to.  I do realize that I can no longer let what has happened to me take control of my life and even if I can get to the point of going to support groups, at last have some there (who can understand) to interract with.  I'm struggling trying to work full time with the pain and anxiety but doctor's said that I'm capable of working full time.  Still I do have some of my co-workers I've been closest to for having someone to go to every now and then.  I'm choosing to look at this year as being a new year, walking away from the closed doors of those in my past so that I don't miss the new doors that God will open for me with new friendships.  Even so, I still love these forums where I, as well as others, can come for understanding and support.  We all know the struggles of our anxiety and there is no fear of condemnation or judgment here.

12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self. - May Sarton

I find myself lonely quite often... but when I like myself, I'm not so lonely.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used to feel that being isolated didn't bother me but although I was away from people I was not isolated. I'm disabled too and have difficulty getting around. But I was not alone. I had me who I like and I had two cats. And I was used to being alone. I'm a self starter, I can work by myself. Now that I'm not alone anymore I've had to adjust. I forget I'm not alone anymore. 
So much different I think for people used to being around other people.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I feel deprived after I've become agoraphobic and ended many relationships with resentment. 
Hi Museluver, I felt isolated after I've felt misunderstood with my condition also. I felt some relief when I found people who had similar experiences as me and also talking to my now therapist.
12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs4u, I know how you feel, I'm disabled and mostly housebound but I find with the mental health problems I am suffering from I can feel isolated in a room full of people.
I avoid so many social situations and have lost most of my friends because of this, it isn't a pleasant feeling.
I would love to know how to overcome these feelings of isolation if anyone can help, they began when my husband passed away 9 years ago at a very young age, people started avoiding me when I needed them the most, also I have been the victim of rape & physical abuse on a few occasions and yet again no-one to turn to. Who can answer these questions? and does anyone really want to listen to what we have to say anyway?
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs4U,

Interesting question and I'm curious to know how other members feel.

What helps you move away from feeling deprived? 
By the way, Happy Belated Birthday!

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Recently I'd had some cabin fever as I got over the flu, and find that my "to do" list was so long I could barely complete it.  The isolation from others, even though I'm emailing or phoning or on this site, made me irritable and lonely, so that I could barely look forward to some belated birthday cake and presents.

Do others feel deprived when isolated?

Reading this thread: