Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

my view of my setback

13 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dizzy, the fact that you believe this was not a bad experience tells me that you are on the road to wellness.  After all, the point of CBT is to change our negative thoughts into positive ones, and your whole outlook on the experience is already positive.  Good on you!

Laura

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dizzy.

Thank you for the post. Yes you are noticeably better. More accepting. You are not likely to notice when things change, more like you will notice after a while that they have changed. The danger is in looking back trying to see when they changed because that puts the panic back in focus. You can do this but right now is not a good time. By all means keep working at it but do like you said, just let it happen and accept the good and the bad. Having the odd bad panic attack is just a reminder of how far you have come. You said it yourself, you have come a long way. "in time" is a lot better than "never". I would say that if you get in a position of not getting better you are trying to hard, not the other way round. (over exposure) Patience and acceptance, it is happening and I am so glad for you. 
I don't know if the attacks will ever stop, I do know they will lose the power to affect you, is that not pretty much the same? And time really does pretty much heal everything.
You have perception, and attitude and now it seems belief also. Good for you.

Here for you,
Davit
13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I do not believe this was a bad experiences. I think it showed me what everyone else have been saying "you have made so much progress" but I do not see it. People on the site  may not notice the change becuase I spent a year and half getting rid of tension I had built up for years "if you could have seen me then I think you would say it is a miracle". Staying in a position of not getting better for awhile is not bad either, perhaps this was my body telling my mind there are things left unexplored or false thoughts that need to be looked at. I talk about my sensation being around all day and I am comming to an understanding that it is at least possible that I am paying to much attention to them perhaps I even fear them. Or I may be using my preoccupation with symptoms to stop me from looking at what I am currently thinking. It seems unlikely that an minor attack can cause an all day symptoms and it is more likely that I am doing more work now and there is a lot of anxiety surrounding this. What made it a bad one Ashely is the constant striving for things to be different and then I will be happy. I think I temporarily stopped accepting the fear and fought it during the attack. However, even after the bad one I was still able to complete a trust return, something I believe I would not have done a year ago. I also believe I put time pressure on myself striving for thing to be different by a certain time so that I can do this or that. Well I turns out that one of the things I wanted to do was work more so I am in a sense OK right know. This does not mean I will stop trying to get better but I does mean that I am going to stop beating myself up for not doing it on schedule. I think that in healing things have to unfold in there own time you cannot one day just say the attacks are going to stop and they will for the remainder of your life.

Dizzy
13 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dizzy,

Sorry to hear you had a big panic attack.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this with us. 

What do you think triggered the panic attack?
Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Dizzy... I'm so sorry you had an awful day.  You are right, sometimes it does take days like those to help us realize we really are making progress.  I'm so proud of you for coming and posting about it.  For being able to see the positive.  So much courage!  If you ever get to feeling like you are not making progress just let us know because, although I've never responded to you specifically before, I have indeed seen your understanding grow and your determination shine through.(((((Dizzy))))) Like Davit says... we are here for you!
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dizzy.

My friend, what happened? Can I help?

Here for you,
Davit
13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Dizzy,

It sounds scary for you.

As a new member, the edge has been taken off the extremes this week, as I began posting, but I needed a good year before I began. Looks like you began posting a lot sooner, and I admire your courage!

13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I would like to share everyone with my view of my setback. I have been complaining that I have not made much progress in awhile. Then yesterday happened I do not want to emphasize the panic attack but the attack was a dozy. Having this kind of attack showed me how good it was to be not getting anywhere. I know everyone going to think I am on drugs, yes I am but there all prescribed.

Dizzy

Reading this thread: