Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

My setback

13 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny, dont think of it as a setback, you have taken a positive step to getting well and you will have good days and bad days, i know how hard it is thats how i ended up from having panic attacks to panic disorder, i would go for weeks without and attack and start to feel good almost like i would not have another one and then bam it would happen and i would realise i do have an ongoing problem, this site has filled me with information and i log in daily as i think of it as therepy and i like to read whats happening with everyone else also, i blog to get things off my chest and read and reread over sections from the program.
after what you have been through you have a life to look forward to now, you are stronger then you were before remember that :)

take care
Deb

13 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone,

setbacks are totally a learning experience, what i learn? that anxiety isn't going to kill me lol. i dont know how many times ive thought i was dying in the last year. anyways i am going to try and sleep without the aid of sleeping pills tonight for the first time in 2 months.  

Sunny II

13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunhot,

Glad to hear that this past week has been pretty good for you!  It sounds like you had a little set back, use this as a learning opportunity.  What triggered the anxiety?  If it is your ex-girlfriends birthday then what thoughts triggered the anxiety?  How can you manage and challenge these thoughts?

Remember, set backs are a part of the learning process.  They are normal and even essential to progress. Try not to look at them as a negative thing but another area to improve in.

You are doing great!  Keep it up!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunhot:  Remember that after a panic attack your body is tired out.  You will get those anxious/stressed feelings afterward for awhile, days maybe.  This is a good time to do the relaxation exercises.  This is what your body needs, to relax.  It needs a bit of pampering, that's why a good hot soak in a tub (relaxes the muscles) works, or stretching of the body, or a short lie down with visualizations of a happy place works well. (think of the visualization as a happy movie with you in it).  It will relax the body and the mind.  Breathing exercises to get you to breath deep breaths rather than the shallow ones we take when we are tense.  Be gentle with yourself when you feel worn out like that, or on edge.  Your body could be recuperating.

just some ideas.

Your friend, Sunny
Thanks jsquared, your words helped me out alot.

The key is to stay positive and smile, :-D

Sunny II

13 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Sunhot, I've been dealing with a setback too, but after about 2 months of no panic attacks. Talk about a rush. Just remember to keep learning all you can about this and challenge your negative thoughts. Stay positive, laugh, and get better. All the best. :D

Stay positive,
-jSquared
The past week has been pretty good for me, my general level of anxiety has gone down and I havent had a panic attack in weeks. This weekend just gone was also a good one, i played music with friends all weekend (my favourite thing to do), spent time with family and returned to work; however, last night whilst watching a movie with my friends i started to feel incredibly anxious and left half way through the movie. For those who know my story,  this increase in anxiety just happenes to coincide with my ex-girlfriends birthday and the friends i was with were ones she really hated.

Today i have had so much anxiety, i feel on the edge of a panic attack but havent had one...yet. I know that i can control my feelings but i feel physically drained and i have a headache and weird pains allover my body.

i know that there will be setbacks, but after going a few weeks with a continous pattern of progress it is hard to feel like i have takien a step back.

Sunny II

Reading this thread: