Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

Victory and a Set Back

13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra,

I empathize and relate to your experience.  I HAVE read feel the fear and do it anyway and felt that it was helpful.  Other books I would recommend are: Radical Acceptance, the Mastery of Love & the Four Agreements (both by Don Miguel Ruiz).  I used to attend Buddhist Za Zen meditation.  It took me weeks to be able to let all my inner chatter go, even a little bit.  I miss it now as there is no Za Zen practices close to where I am located. 

Would like to talk more.

13 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Now it is the difficult part. My job starts tomorrow. 
I am terrified, horrified, worried etc. Then I am brave and ok. It is like being on a roller coaster.
I am also going to be attending a special workshop for the next  3 nights on dealing with panic/stress etc at a Buddhist centre.

I hope I can make it tomorrow. Has anyone read "Feeling the Fear and Doing it Anyway"? So far it is a really good book.

Thanks for all the support! I will let you all know what happens.

Kendra
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra,
Good for you for looking at this as a positive thing..not geting down about it! I'm proud of you!
Trust in yourself! Those are the words to live by...and if your new employer doesnt respnd well to your illness...it wasnt meant to be..although I hope it all works out for you ...you sound so wonderful!
Years ago I had just started a new job, one that I was really excited to get as times were tough, and wouldn't you know it...after 1 day orientation I got violently ill...had to take 2 weeks off! Shingles were  going around in the nursing home,  I didnt get them..  but I  got the virus... gave it to hubby and sons though, and they all got the chicken pox! (Some say thats not possible but I'm living proof that it happened)
Anyhow, I thought for sure they would let me go, but they didnt and I was there for 7 years and loved it.
Hope your flu goes away very soon
Juanita

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra

Welcome back, You don't seem too bothered by the setback which is good since they will happen. Good attitude. Good perception, noticing it is only the flu. (as if the flu isn't enough)
Good belief that you will be okay. The three building blocks needed to build positive core beliefs and bury negative ones. 

And if the job doesn't pan out, what can it mean other than looking again. But I wish you luck also.

Here for you,
Davit
13 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back Kendra!

Glad to have you back.  You are right it is best to continual maintain anxiety.  Set backs are common and part of the journey having us to lean on when you are in trouble will help!

Congrats on the new job!  Let us know how your first day goes!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I posted a while back but stopped as I had thought I was coping well. It's funny how I thought things were good so I abandoned what helped me. I realize now that this healing and learning should go on even when I feel fine. 

Background: I was working in a job that wasn't the right fit for me so I applied for another job. I got a new one and was supposed to start today.

I couldn't do it. At first I thought the symptoms were panic,  nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness etc. and then I stopped and had to take the time to trust myself. I have the flu. I actually decided to trust myself. I don't know my body or self that much and so I wasn't sure if it was sickness or panic but I stopped, examined and realized that this is just the flu that I have had since new years eve. 

I think it is a victory and I wanted to inspire some other people too. Get to know yourself, trust yourself. I am not feeling great about missing my first day but if the employer isn't reasonable and decides to can me I wouldn't want to work for that kind of place anyways. Of course that is worst case scenario and would probably not happen.

Still, I have to deal with first day jitters on another day but at least I won't have the flu! I plan on posting more and becoming part of this community.

Take care everyone!

Kendra

Reading this thread: