Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Medication and Weight Gain

13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had experienced weight gain while on Paxil though I didn't realize it until I got off of it and the weight just fell off! I had been dieting while on Paxil to no effect, then getting off and not trying to diet saw me lose a whopping 35 pounds without trying! It was one of several negative side effects I was experiencing and didn't even know about.

I was worried that when I got on Prozac after a period without being on any SSRI that the weight would come back, but so far so good. Even with an appetite increase on Prozac, my weight is still staying steady.

Teebs
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  weight gain?  yup.  I started SSRI this summer.  Have gained 5 lbs. and not happy about it.  The first time yrs. ago, I gained 20 lbs.  Now I know and am more careful about what I eat.  For me, it is less bread and no desserts.  A treat once in awhile is o.k.   Walking is a great way to keep fit too.  I was back up to under an hour of walking, but now with the cold weather, it's half that, but that's o.k.  On really windy cold days, it's just a couple of blocks, but it's important to get out of the house and get some fresh air.  I have some 10 lb. weights at home, got them out, looking at them.  Once upon a time when I went to the gym I was using 15 lbs. with a 20 lb. once in awhile for bicep and tricep work.  I want to start a routine again.  Exercise is important.

Sunny
13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had tried a couple of meds prior to what I am on now, and did gain weight - that's why I went off them - I didn't need something else to depress me.  I'm now on 450 mgWellbutrin, 3200 mgNeurontin, 80 mg Buspar (Xanax for extreme panic attacks, PRN) and haven't gained any weight and this combo had made me a human again feeling like myself so I can work on my issues insead of feeling stoned out on other meds (uch).  Besides the med issue, I've always liked to eat more then my share of food to begin with -I'd bake and cook for my husband and self so I have to exercise to maintain, but atleast my weight is steady.  That was another reason for the gain in weight on those meds - with the meds increasing my appetite - it I'ddevour half a cake in two days or half a pizza. at one sitting (uch).  Now I can focus back on a mindful way of eatting and feel healthy again.  I am also careful about what I eat now - organic and only if humaely killed (only a couple of times a week). And fresh salads and veggies. I stay away from sugar and wrong carbs, added chemicals and imitation crap, it also plays a big part in our weight and how we feel.
13 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Also, just to clarify I was on medication for three and a half years before I weaned off them.
13 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

In regards to medication and weight gain I have definitely experienced the worst of it. For about 5 years before I started my medications I was the same height and weight, hardly any fluctuations - I was lucky enough to eat whatever I wanted and not have to really work out. Anyway, at age 19 I was put on 300mg of Wellbutrin and 60mg of Celexa (Citalopram). In about 3 months I had gained 70lbs, and it was traumatizing and it's 110% true. I hadn't changed any of my habits at all, so I went to my doctor and she said it had to have been the medication. So by June of this year I had weaned off my meds completely and now I have lost about 40lbs, again I didn't have to change any habits or even work out. The weight just melted off. I know if I want to lose the rest of it I will have to work out, but wow the change is like night and day. I'm curious to see if other people have had a similar experience with medication and weight gain.
 Thanks for reading,
Spartan
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Members,

In our sister site the Healthy Weight Center our expert Dr. Binks answers a member question related to weight gain due to Medication. Take a look at what he has to say here.

What are your thoughts? Have you had this experience?  Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Ashley, Health Educator 

Reading this thread: