Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

worried about taking xanax

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Matt,

I'm glad you have a realistic but positive attitude about the "rough road" you are travelling. It will get better!

Don't forget to use your Toolbox- it's full of great tips and tools to help you.

Have a nice weekend- and all the other members too. Take care of yourselves!
Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone,

I completely understand and respect this site isn't here to give our medical advice!  I don't think I'd trust one that did. :)

But thank you for giving me the benefit of your experiences.  I did talk to my doctor last week about xanax.  He was supportive but quite generalised about it.  Yes you can form a dependence but if you need it then you need it.  I'll be making another appointment this week I reckon.

I know for many people reading these forums substance dependency is a personal issue.  Luckily for me - thus far - it isn't.  I take comfort from your experiences Teebs - the idea that you were able to use such drugs as a short-term tool rather than a solution.  For me I'm on the path to finding the solution but the road is rough and I'm not there yet.

Thanks everyone,
Matt
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Matt,

Your concerns about Xanax could be a page right out of my book! I'm very wary of getting addicted to a medication and am always hesitant to use Xanax. Again, you should check with your doctor for specifics, but I'll share with you my experience.

Using Xanax as a tool is very different than using it to solve your anxiety problems. By this I mean you are working on long-term solutions to your anxiety, such as working through this program and doing the homework. You're not taking Xanax to permanently solve your problems, but to get you through a tough time. Thinking about it this way made it easier for me to give myself permission to take the Xanax and feel better.

I took one for every shift I worked for three weeks a few months ago. I did not like this at all, but it was the only way to make it through the last few weeks of my job at that point. By the end of those weeks, I started noticing that a single Xanax was less effective than it had been at the beginning. I got worried that this meant I was becoming addicted, but my counselor reminded me that showing an increased tolerance for a drug (small dose was less effective) was very different from showing a dependence on a drug. I didn't have any trouble stopping the Xanax.

Also, in my experience, I haven't found I have worse days after taking a Xanax.

Hang in there,
Teebs

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Matt

Ashley is right, you have to ask this of your doctor. But it is the week end and I will tell you my experience. I found you can buid a dependence on them and they are on the control list.
Your other question you can get the answer to off the net but you have to pay for it. 
xanax has a long half life, It will still be working to a certain extent the next day. Ativan is the one that gives you the ups and downs.
Talk to your doctor, If you easilly become dependent on other things, Cigaretts, booze or tylenol for head aches. you could become dependent on xanax, only you can know how easilly you can quit. For me I do not build dependencies so this information may be irrelevent. I use valium a weak cousin of Xanax periodically. (seldom)

Davit
13 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TassieMatt,

I am sorry you have been having such a hard week.  I am glad though that you have found us and are continuing to work on the program.  Continue to ask questions in the support group but for medical advice please consult your physician before making and changes to your medicating routine.

Keep fighting!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi everyone,

The last week has been very difficult.  As I said in my last post I'm back on the SSRI's since last wed.  They take a week or two to kick in.  it's been tough going with high anxiety most days (especially in the evenings at home alone).  I very rarely take a xanax tablet - only if I need to fly or something like that - but I've ended up having one almost every night this week.

My question is - just how addictive are these things? 

I'm re-reading the sessions every day, and filling in anxious thought sheets every day but in my current heightened state I am relying on these pills as a last resort.  My fingers and toes are crossed that the SSRI will calm me down soon.

Another question - by taking a xanax does it set you up to have a worse day tomorrow?

Thanks everyone,
Matt

Reading this thread: