Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

Not What I thought

13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra,

My heart goes out to you. This is tough. One thing I did when I started t orealise one of my new jobs wasn't what I thought was I applied for other jobs. It gave me some hope becuse it confirmed, yes, there are other jobs out there. Is this a posisbility for you? We all deserve a respectful workplace. It is possible the late pay is not a sign of full on dysfuntion at that center, it is possible it is. Hard to know right now since you are new there.

I agree with everyone's suggestions here too. Is it possible for you to offer to help with some of the smaller issues you see as problems there? Sometimes it is hard in a workplace for the 'new' person to be given jobs that change things up. People get nervous. If you can start with something small to change, that probably works better based on the fact you aer new there. Not that the problems you see are not valid, but that I have yet to see many employers keen to let a new employee change the bigger aspects of the operation right off the hop. just my 2 cents.

If you can stick it out for a while, there is always the chance that some of the people who are doing thigns you don't agree with may  leave. I have had that happen as well. I am ok with admiting it is a pleasant surprise when someone who isn't working co-operatively moves on to a job away from me. We want to work with people we respect and respect us right? Hang in there if you can. Struggle to find the positives, the positive 'what ifs' as Davit says.
13 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have also been in this position and in some ways, still am and have been for 4 years. 

You can rise above the place and do things right, that's all you can do.  You can't control what other people do without "ratting out" your place of employment or co-workers.  Since you need the money, that's probably not a good idea. 

Take notes when you get home from work about the goings on of the day.  In the meantime, are there other places of employment where you can apply?
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra:  Oh my, I've been in that spot, disappointing isn't it?  I consider myself a professional and when I saw others who didn't take the job as seriously as I did, it really bothered me.  What did I do?  I did what I felt I should do, my standards, what I was comfortable with and was hoping that by my example, others would follow.  And some did.  I made up a schedule of things to do for the day/week, posted it in my area and would tick things off as they were accomplished.  They said it was a good idea and then they started consulting my chart.  Who would of thought? :)  Just a bit of organizing.

13 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra,

Davit made a lot of good points.  I know you are disappointed right now and you have every right to be but you also deserve to see the positives.  I know right now it is hard to see the positives but they are there you just need to search for them.  Who knows maybe you were put in this job for a reason...maybe you are the answer to some of the problems there.  Never underestimate yourself and your circumstances.

What made you get into this line of work to begin with?

If you were happy at work what would be different in your job? What would be the same?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kendra.

Hope comes from knowing you are making a difference in the lives of those that can not or do not have a say for them selves.  Hope comes from the benefit you get from the benefit they get from you. Hope comes from the heart and soul of those you are making a difference in, not those that are using you. Life will always be like this and all jobs have some aspect that sucks.
Look for the positive and wait for the money. The money really is secondary in any job.

Here for you
Your friend 
Davit.
13 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I have been working now since the 9th. I am proud of myself for doing that. Unfortunately the job is horrible. It is in child care in a place that is breaking regulations all over the place. I really regret even doing the course in the first place.

But, I can't quit because we need the money. Of course they "forgot" to pay me for the 2 first days yesterday. And now they will be holding a week's pay and so now I am looking at waiting until October for any sign of money. Unless they "forget" to pay me again.

I suppose my set back is pessimism. I am in the dumps. I feel horrible, my back aches because I took it upon myself to clean the room as it was so gross I didn't want to sit down. I also twisted my ankle. 

Where does hope come from? How can I not have anxiety and panic attacks at a place that is so horrible?

Reading this thread: