Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

The Last Resort

14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
David and Davit,

Thanks for your replies. It's funny you should suggest excercise because that is another thing I started doing last year. It was interesting how all the other times I tried to excercise mainly to try and loose weight it was so hard to incorporated into my life but last year when the anxiety started I tried exercise again but that time with the focus on health and it was much easier to stick with. I have stuck with it and am happy to say to I go to the gym about 2-3 times each week. That I think has been one factor that has helped me improve dramtically. To answer Davits question, no the doc did not diagnose me with anything but you are right, that would've been something to consider. I think he thinks that the meds would simply help to end this problem once and for all, the bit of its that left I guess. So, yeah I continue to weigh out whether or not I need meds for that bit of it thats left or just continue my natural path to recovery. Perhaps I do keep with all the things that have helped me this far.

Thanks again,

Tammy
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tam.

If you think you could live with life like it is now, then why not just coast a bit and see if it gets better. It did for me and I was in the exact same position you are 6 months ago. There are other things that work besides the heavy meds. But this is presuming that the Phsyciatrist didn't diagnose you with a mental disorder. In that case his advise is the best and any thing I say is best ignored. I did it off meds so it can be done but obviously not by every one. Post often and use the blog on top of the program and you may well be able to do it too. You can always do the meds if it doesn't work.

There I've stuck my neck out again.
Davit.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tam,

First of all, I am glad to see that you are doing something about your anxiety and that you are trying different ways to overcome it.

You mentioned that you have come a long way without the use of medication and you are not sure whether or not you want to make a decision of going on it or not at this time. What has helped you cope with everything up until now?

You said how you are afraid that the medication will make you feel worse rather than better. Before you make any decisions make sure to discuss all of the possible side effects and outcomes with your doctor. Perhaps this will make the decision easier for you.

Let us know what you are feeling and what you think is the best decision to make for you.

David has some useful ideas, members can you add anything else of your own?

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi;

I've had anxiety and panic problems since I was a kid. I am now 43. I still have certain things that bother me and I am always afraid of something bad happening, so I know where you're at right now.

I have been on several medications since 1985, some worked and some did not.

Going back to 2002, I was on prozac and triavil. I slowly got off the prozac with the help of a natural supplement called 5-HTP. Prozac made me sluggish and too sleepy even during the day.

That seemed to do the trick and I was officially off the prozac. It made me feel like a zombie. I am now on a combo of many different vitamins, the triavil, occasional use of diazepam and lot's of exercise.

I bring all this up because I was wondering if you've tried some sort of an exercise program to help assist any meds you might take to help fight off any of the stresses that trigger your anxieties and panic? It's not a perfect fix, but exercise has greatly improved my quality of life. I am on less meds and feel beter physically.

I also spent a lot of years seeing a psychotherapist to work on any problems I may have had in my childhood that were still a problem in my adult years.

I hope some of this helps you.
David

14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I've been struggling with anxiety for 1 1/2 years. One night, it felt like a switch went on in my head and I feel like I have never been the same since. I had a major panic attack that night where I went to the hospital and another the next day where I went back. For the next two months I wandered around like a zombie, afraid almost all day and having thoughts about dying every hour at least. Since then I feel like I've tried it all: psychologists, naturopath, Chinese medicine and acupuncture, CBT, and just recently a psychiatrist who told me within 10 minutes of meeting him that medicine was my answer. I have been working so hard to beat this without medicine and I feel like I've come a long way. Now, I have a panic attack about once a month and throughout the rest of the month I may have some anxiety at any given time but I am nowhere near what I was a year and half ago so I feel like I should just carry on without the meds. I have one more thing to try and that is a referral to an anxiety disorder clinic coming up in a few months. Maybe I should just wait to make the medicine decision until after I go to that clinic? Or maybe my problem is that I keep thinking that something is going to make it go away completely and I should just be happy with the progress I've made? I just feel like I know what it feels like to be worse than I am now and it really is horrible. I would rather stay like I am right now than risk taking medication and going back to that place that I was if the meds don`t work. Does this make any sense? What do you think?

Reading this thread: