Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Driving

14 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have read that they are both similar and two different doctors prescribed Atenolol for me, I just hope it helps.
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley and Lance. 

I would hope that all of us remember that this is only information and not to replace a Doctors advice. But it is good to go to the Doctor armed so he doesn't have to guess. I went to the internet and did a search to satisfy my curiosity and it says pretty much what I said but I think you should look up both Atenolol and Propranolol. Propranolol is commonly used for stage fright and hand tremors. More than one site mentions it's use for anxiety and it is different than Atenolol. Atenolol was developed to eliminate some of the side effects of propranolol and it is superior if you have hypertension. If you are not taking it for high blood pressure then I would still say it is the wrong drug. But that is only my interpretation and every one is capable of being wrong and since we are all different maybe it does work, but certainly not for me. Anyway it is only information and I am not saying it is definitely the wrong drug only that I think it is. I don't know if it works for hand tremors as I've never had them. I do get body twitching and it doesn't work for that. Again for me anyway.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

In terms of medication it is best to talk to your doctor.  Plus sharing your experiences with the members here is another good option.  But remember every individual is different.  In terms of finding those messages have you tried the search messages feature?  Let us know what you find out.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley

Can you help me with this. I think Lance has the wrong beta blocker. I use atenolol for hypertention. It is I believe a selective beta blocker and it does nothing for my panic but lower pulse. The one for panic I am quite sure is Propanolol, which I think is non selective. Any way they are different. Ive read of using Propanolol with some success but not atenolol. Has any one used Atenolol? Atenolol will slow pulse during a panic attack but that is if you use it after the attack. I hope I'm wrong and it is just me it doesn't work for. Can some one state for a fact that Atenolol works. There were a couple of posts from people using beta blockers with some success but I can't find them.

Davit.

Easing in to it, but I havnt been doing it. I planned on starting a exposure program tomorrow. I hope to start waking up early enough. I really want to try to work hard at all this.

Just wondering what I should expect from the Atenolol

Lance,

According to exposure therapy you should ease into it.  But what do you feel comfortable with?

Ashley, Health Educator
I was wondering, do I jump in my car in a couple hours and expect to be ok driving or have someone else do it. Do I still need to ease in to it?

Wanted to ask, has anyone used Beta Blockers for panic? I started Atenenol the other day for it.

In the past I was on Effexor XR and Atenenol and was driving ok. Now I have no insurance so no Effexor XR. Any input would be appreciated.

Lance,

I'm sorry you had a tough time driving.  Good for you for trying though.  With continued effort you will notice a difference.  Try not to be too discouraged by this time. Focus on the times that were not hard.

I think that is good intuition that your diet, sleep and exercise changes may be affecting your panic.  

You will get back there. You did it before, you can do it again. I can hear you really want to conquer this challenge.  It must be frustrating for you.  We are here for you!  How do you plan on motivating yourself to keep trying?

Ashley, Health Educator

Driving is still on the top of the list.  I started a beta blocker and my drive today was WAY worse. I had my first full blown panic attack.

It may have to do with I am way off kilter with my diet, sleep, excercize etc. Thats what I am hoping.

I know what I was doing before was working, so trying to re do whatever it was. I bought more liquid vitamin D, I was out of that. All I want to do is drive. 

Reading this thread: