Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Ashamed

14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think you have a lot of good ideas.  Getting your sister to have a talk with your husband would be great.  You are very fortunate to have two very important people in your life who care about you so much!

Keep on working on the program and keep posting!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the replies. My sister actually knows all about my anxiety but I guess she doesn't know what to do when I am having a panic attack. I'm not sure what to tell her so that she can be helpful to me (not that she isn't now) but I know giving in and letting me come back to the city is not the best solution. I'm so used to being with my husband who knows very well how to handle it by getting me to breathe and relax and not letting me leave. I feel bad at how scary it must look though to my sister seeing me get in that state as she hasn't seen it much. I guess I'm so worried about it because I'm the big sister who is usually the "strong" one. Losing control in a panic attack must be very scary for my sister to see. Maybe she can have a talk with my husband about what she can do next time.
While being away/too far from hospitals is definitely a problem I have identified, I'm still working with the program and waiting to get to a plan for dealing with it so that hopefull next time I will be able to stick it out at the cabin. I guess I will learn the strategies to do this soon.
14 years ago +1 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
tam

I think your sister will understand and if not you should tell her about mental health resources to help teach her about panic.  I know my family doesn't understand me and it is aggrevating but I think it is hard for anyone to understand if they do not have panic themselves.  I am terrible when I get attacks I always want to leave the situation but I know that only reinforces the fear.  Do you think next time you might be able to stick it out?  Do you have any stratagies on how u would do that? 

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
tam,

Sorry to hear about your rough time at your cabin.

It can sometimes be difficult to discuss your symptoms and experiences with relatives. Have you spoken to them before about your panic or anxiety? How do you anticipate them responding if you were to tell them?

If you do choose to talk to them about your symptoms, it may be helpful to prepare for this conversation. Perhaps create a list of topics you would like to cover when you are speaking with them. There is also plenty of information available on how to talk to family about your anxiety. It may be helpful to read these resources prior to your conversation. It may also help ease some of that added anxiety!

Knowing that you are far away from hospitals or medical attention can be an uncomfortable feeling. Is this something that you have identified as a fear that you often experience? The program outlines how to confront these fears by challenging your negative thoughts and creating a plan that will help you through the process. You can find some information on these steps in session 2 and 3 of the program here.

Stay close to the boards tam and let us know how things go for you. We are here for you whenever you need us!

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I think it's a good idea to let your relatives, or maybe only your sister, if shes a person u trust, know about your panicproblems. If she'd read something about it, she would have knowned what it was all about, and maybe she could have talked u out of the panicattac, and make u stay in the cabin.

But dont feel bad about this! Learn from it instead, and next time, maybe u can stay at the cabin a little longer... and my advice is not to play computergames late at night... noone is feeling better from that

Take care!!
14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tonight while out of town at the cabin I was so anxious (as I usually am when out of town i.e. away/too far from hospitals) that I could not sleep. Finally at 2 am I got out of bed and while playing a game on the computer I started having a full blown attack having many symptoms mainly a slowed down heart rate that felt like it wasn't there.  Anyway, I awoke my sister and
made her leave with me driving 45 min back to the city. While I immediately felt relieved to be at home and feeling safe now I just feel ashamed to have ruined my sisters time away and that she had to see me like that. I`m scared that when she lets my family know they will all be so worried thinking that something is really wrong with me.

Reading this thread: