Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Fear of getting help

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey CSB,

Congratulations on going to the wedding.

As for working towards going to see a doctor, I say do it in little steps. Challenge your thoughts with the questions Sarah gave you. Then do some exposure work to work on exiting the house. If at first it is too tough, do it with a friend! Step by step is the surest way there!

When I couldn't leave the house that is how I did it. On baby step at a time!
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Heya CSB,

Sounds like your in the same zone as I am, where you have times where you can overcome it no problem, then others where it seems impossible.  On the bright side, the times you've overcame it just go to show that you can do it!  Maybe what you did to prepare for your mom's wedding is what you can do now.  Pick something you want to do outside, then work up towards it (minutes at a time, or whatever works for you...you know you best!).  Either way, congratulations on going to the wedding!  BIG success, having gone there and had fun!

And I know how hard it can be to hear words like the ones you heard from the doc.  But you know what you're capable of, others don't, so many will make sometimes mindless assumptions...and you know what happens when you assume...you make an ass out of u and me!  If she met you or your kids, I'm positive she would change her opinion on the spot.  Your idea about setting a date sounds great, too!

Cheers!
15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow that is some good advice :)  Thank-you both, I almost watered up. 
Its like my friend who is willing to come over a talk to me and do a healing on me and I haven't yet set a night, It's the fear of the first steps.  She said when I am ready she will be there for me and to call when I am ready, and she will still pray for me.

I know when I go out and do little things everynight of the week and then by the weekend I can be out for a few minutes more and a few more. does that make sense?  It is like I need to build myself up.  My mom's wedding was this past summer and I have no idea how I did it (out of the house for 7 hours) and I had fun!  maybe because it was in town and everynight before I went out in some shape or form.  When it came to the wedding day I was a mess, I was nervous in the begining but just shrugged it off. 
but why can't I do simple things like go to the grocery store.  It is like the anxiety evolves or changes. ie last year I would only go out at night to do my running around (that is when I always felt good and could do a lot), if I had to go out during the day I would throw-up.  Then I got a bit better about the day. then by this spring I was going out shopping in another town at night then I went garden shoping in the afternoon!  Then I had an attack and I wouldn't go out at all. I have stating coming around to even doing simple running (post office) in the morning.
Then when everyone came to me about this I feel like I have been knocked right off the mountain that I tried so hard to climb and I am just to fearfull again to climb it.
I have worked so hard to keep anxiety out of my brain (it would get to the point that in my dreams I would tell people I couldn't go out etc).
My other friend is being so good, she works for the pregnancy center (my friend and Iwould run these big scrapbook book shows and we made an amazing team for ideas etc) well she has come to me to ask for help with this benifit thing they are doing at her work and I feel so awesome about, I want to help her and I felt like we were back together again ____and ____ little power team!
ok rambled a bit again but maybe I need to get this burden off my chest (or brain)
Sarah thank-you for the tips, I know when I walk to meet the kids I get anious and I try and push it away, but then when I try and talk myself out of it, it gets worse.  maybe asking myself the questions instead will help me better. I really like 9 and 10!

Jhori82
You are right about scaring me into her office.  I guess its hard to hear words like that because you are already in a situation were you are doubting yourself (and parenting could be one of them) then you hear words like that and you think to yourself could I really do that.  Then you think back to earlier that morning when you had the fight with your son about having to wear underwear to school and he was refusing to put them on and wanted to go camndo and we have to be out the door in 2 min. and you start to yell and threaten to take their piece of pie out of their lunch :)   I just can't see that turning into something worse.  I cry when I watch the news and see or hear of stuff like that.
I guess I feel like those words stabbed me because I keep coming back to it.  so I need stop and let them go and release it. *chuckle to myself*
Maybe I should set a goal by a certain date I will go into the doctors and get it over with! I will probably feel wieght off my shoulders.
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
canscrapbook,   You have received some great advice from other jhori. It can be incredibly difficult to challenge yourself and your anxious thoughts. The following ten questions will help you to challenge any anxious thoughts. When you have an anxious thought, answer some of these 10 questions:

1. Is it "true"?
2. How do I know it’s true?
3. Is it 100% true? (remember something that is 75% or 99% true is  
    not 100% true)
4. What's the evidence for it being true?
5. What’s the evidence against it being true?
6. Has it ever happened before?
7. What's different now?
8. If it were true, how bad would it really be?
9. What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be?

It would also be very beneficial for you to make an appointment with your doctor. This would give you the opportunity to describe your experience to him. It is probably quite difficult for him to make suggestions about your situation without talking to you personally.   Keep us posted on how you are doing.       Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi CSB,

I had a LOT of trouble getting help in the beginning.  It was the hardest thing to do, more so then my exposure therapy with CBT and all that (though that was hard as well).  Basically, it's the hottest part of the fire.

And what the doc told your sister was an over exaggeration.  More or less, trying to put the fear in you, to make you want to go in...which odd as it may sound, was meant for your benefit, but her choice of words weren't the best.  There are people out there capable of such things, though honestly, I've never had that feeling from you.  The fact that you are trying and able to have so much fun around your house is a big step.  It shows you are willing to try to better yourself.  This is a humongous accomplishment! 

For the time being, maybe instead of getting the "courage" to go in to the doc, you can look around online or somewhere and see what options you have available.
15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ok so here it is,
when I try and leave my house and start getting a lot of anxiety.  but I still have not tried to do much about getting help since my set backs.
Does or did anyone fear getting help in the begining?  I don't think I fear being labelled since have started being open with people etc. Do I fear they will stick me in a home?  I am not sure.  Then my sister went to the family GP and was talking about me and the doctor said to her that I really need to come and see her and if I don't I could become dangerous and that this is how women kill their kids.  I was so hurt by that I hate the women even more.  If there is anything I do fear it would be that something happens to my kids or what if she calls CAS and has them taken away.  Om gosh I would just die.
I am not a threat I have no idea why the doctor would think this over even suggest that to my sister.  Yes I need help and getting out of my house but hurt people my gosh.  I laugh with my kids we play and I have been finding I am tring to do more around the home to make them happier and myself.
Just thought I would mention that some of my anxiety is food and if I am not eating by 5 I freak out,  ITS 5:05 AND I AM STILL HERE !!  WOOHOO!
but just wondered for those who would not leave the house, how you made those steps to start seeing a doctor

Reading this thread: