Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Daily exacerbations

15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Brenna, I am do just that!
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jhori,

There are many ways to overcome the feelings that lead to a panic attack and some of the other members have pointed a few of them out. We encourage you to challenge your negative thoughts, practice deep breathing exercising, use relaxation techniques and start to master your fears.

Members, keep the techniques coming!

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
Diva:
Thanks for the support!  I just did the program for the q's yesterday, so I'll start making use of that.  Walking/working out def. helps me too.  And yes!  Distraction and talking to someone I trust helps a lot!  I think those are my key helpers, but sometimes I try to deal so as not to overbear my loved one.  Not to say they wouldn't do it, but a part of me just feels the need to do it on my own.  This is probably my greatest push, and biggest setback, the need for self reliance.

Miki:
I think we all have a lil Irish in us ;oP.  I'm betting mine came from holding back, I was normally outgoing, but I let a situation hold me back and then dwelled.  Ok, maybe it wasn't holding back, but rather dwelling.  I'm not a dweller anymore!
15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmmm maybe I have some Irish blood too, since I am pretty contradictory myself. I think we all are and we just don't admit it. Some days we're good, some days we're bad. I tried that I don't care stage for awhile and I bet that is why I got PAs since I do too care.. I tried to be something else and found out it didn't work for me.
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, I am glad to see you dealt with your panic so well.

I do the breathing thing, and the q's for challenging thoughts. I find walking can help. I also find talking to someone I trust helps. I find distraction helps. As Miki stated, some days nothing helps and that is ok too. So I get a Panic Attack, then I move on.
I like that.  There will be days when nothing will work, and it's ok.  It has a relieving, almost invigorating feeling to it. 

You know, society is a pretty vague term.  Breaking this down kinda works for me.  I figure it like this, society isn't a whole.  There are those who will accept, and those who won't.  Those who will, are the ones who love us, have been through what we go through, or are just generally good people.  Those who won't, don't understand, or don't care to.  I figure I'll keep on keeping on for those who will smile for us, help those who don't understand (that are willing to try to understand), and not care about those who don't care about me.  I like things simple, but in a complicated way.  I'm contradictive like that...I think it's the Irish in me.  Anyways, hope I was able to help as much as you did me!  Cheers!
15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday, I tried the Challenging Anxious Thoughts Q's and it worked and I was able to stay in class. Today, was not so good and it didn't work. I try to keep telling myself that I'm ok, I can do it, what's my goal, and all the affirmations I can think of at the time. I tend to massage myself or massage my scalp religiously.. which I tend to think this can be my one and only OCD act... where I feel like I'll get better by doing this. But after today, when the Q's didn't work, I accepted that there will be days when nothing will work and it's ok.. I'll just have to try again later or tomorrow. Although, this may not be acceptable to society, which scares me.
Alright, so today I had a sorta setback/not setback.  I began feeling those same feelings that normally lead into a panic attack.  Normally.  But this time I just felt those feelings, went for a drive during my lunch half-hour at work, came back feeling better.  Not completely, but noticeably. 

Now not having the panic attack and not ruining the rest of my day is awesome, like taking a bath after going camping for a couple days. So I feel accomplished in that sense, rewarded even!  (not having a day dampening attack is kinda cool!)

But what I'm curious of, is how everyone else overcomes those feelings that lead into panic attacks.  How to stop at the start, or soon enough after the start so as to still be able to heal oneself.  I try the breathing, and meh, it has moderate results.  The thing that works best is thinking nothing, absolutely positively nothing.  Listening to the birds chirp, cars go by, whatever is moving in this big ole' world of ours.  But sometimes this is a frikken challenge!  Like today, I came back, but still had lingering lumpthroats (sorry, I had to try to expand the definition as whatever queues the ruin of our focus!  did it work?).  Any suggestions?

Reading this thread: